growth ultrasounds?

ok so with remmi i never had one . i didnt even know they did thoes late in pregnancy this time i see so many posts about having them done around 34 or 35 weeks. is it something you ask your doc to do or is it something they are just supposed to do? im really curious how presley is growing and i know they aren't accurate but i wanna know about how big she may be especially with the problems i have been having and all lately that way if she does come in the next few weeks i know how big she is. remmi was 6 lb 1.5 oz at 36 and 5 and they said had i gone 40 weeks she would have been a big baby haha. so i wanna have a idea of whats to come with this baby. haha i try 2 estimate when i can eel her foot or the length of her leg or how big her but is and she already feels kinda big. haha

MammaBanjo

Asked by MammaBanjo at 10:04 AM on Apr. 30, 2010 in Pregnancy

• if i was offered one, i would decline it. imo it's just another thing that leads to a cascade of interventions. they do a highly inaccurate estimate of weight, then tell you you need to get induced early because your baby is big, then baby ends up being 7 lbs. or less. that's just my opinion. :)

i did have a 2nd u/s around 38 weeks w/ my son but that's because my midwife all of a sudden thought i might have TWO babies in there based on palpating my belly.

btw palpating the belly can be just as good a way to estimate baby weight.

and i truly hope your baby doesn't come early but honestly her size won't affect how well she does if she does come early. her lung development will, and that's unrelated to size.

good luck!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• I had to have one because I was a week late and had high blood pressure late in my pregnancy. They aren't accurate at all... they said my baby was about 7lbs. .. and she was over 9...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• "I had to have one because I was a week late and had high blood pressure late in my pregnancy. They aren't accurate at all... they said my baby was about 7lbs. .. and she was over 9... "

yeah i think it's just a waste of $ (not necessarily yours, but if your insurance pays for it, it's just another thing that drives up our health care costs which of course are quite high already), and unnecessary ultrasound exposure. it doesn't have any benefits imo.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:16 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• my doctor ordered me one because he wanted to check the fluid levels. Well he was very inaccurate at that. He wanted me to be induced, because he said my fluids were low, so we scheduled the induction.. when my water broke, there was PLENTY of fluid in there. She was 7lbs 6 ounces. (not bad). But IMO it was just the doctors excuse to have me induced so he wouldn't have to be there on x-mas (she was born the 22 of december wtih my due date being christmas).
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:00 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• I had one with baby #2, but I was overdue and it was part of their non-stress test. They said she weighed 7lbs 15ozs....she was born less than a week later weighing 7lbs 15ozs exactly. It really depends on your sonographer and how well trained they are. The lady who did mine had been doing these for MANY years. Clearly, she was good!
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 11:10 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

yeah that's kind of what i was thinking with the "cascade of interventions" comment i made :)
    Anonymous

• I had one at 35 weeks with my 4th, and with my 5th I had one done last week at 28 weeks and am having at least one more in 4 more weeks. I have gestational diabetes, so they are keeping a close watch on size to make sure she doesn't develop macrosomia.

Answer by missanc at 12:31 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• I was told my daughter was going to be 5lbs, 5.5lbs at most. She was 7lbs 2oz. NOT accurate. I'll probably decline them next time.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 1:22 PM on Apr. 30, 2010