My daughter is 5 1/2 months old will her flat head go away or is it too late?

mommom2000

Asked by mommom2000 at 10:54 AM on Apr. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it might go away it might not that is the way she is but remember she is still a growing girl. I know someone like this she just wears pigtails like nothing she doesn't care so if your baby's head stays flat don't make a big thing out of it you just might give her low self esteem.GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 11:13 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• have you talked to your ped about it?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:00 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• At her 4 month check up she told me to roll her over more. She was allready rolling over and turns on her back the minute you put her on her belly. I try to keep her off it when she is awake, but she sleeps on her back still. She is my third child and my first two have nice round heads.
    mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 11:08 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• You need to take her to the doctor ASAP. If she has spent so much time on her back that she has a flat head she may also have something called "container baby syndrome". Its a cluster of developmental problems that happen to babies that spend too much time in beds, seats, swings, ect.

Your baby may need physical and occupational therapy. Since your baby is almost 6 months she will probably have to wear bands on her head or a helmet to try to reshape it. It's too late for repositioning to work alone at 6 months.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:09 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• I would make an appt with the ped again, it could be a premature closing of the soft spots of the skull
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:12 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• developmentaly she is fine. She is allready sitting up on her own, and doing everything she is supposed to do. I rarely took her out the first 4 months, so it's not from a car seat. She has been a great sleeper since she was 5 weeks old. maybe to much time on her back in the crib. She also has a jungle gym she loved to lay under and smile away. Maybe I put her there too much. not sure
    mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 11:15 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• it still bears further investigation, as her brain grows, IF it is premature closing of the sutures of the skull, it would cause delays or diabilities at that poing
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:17 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• She has her 6 month check up on 5-10
    mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 11:41 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• My daughter has had a tendency to turn her head to the right ever since birth. Before her two month appointment we noticed that her right side was flat and brought it to the attention of her pediatrician at the appointment. We've been doing things to help fix it. Turn her so that she looks to the left to watch me, her toys, etc., alternate which end of the crib she sleeps, etc. It got much better by her 6 month appointment but she still turned to the right and she tilted her head. So we've been going to physical therapy for torticollis for about 2 months now and she is doing much better. However now that she is rolling we are concerned that her flatness isn't going to continue to fix itself. So we opted to get a cranial band. Her pediatrician pretty much said it was up to us, and he wrote the prescription for it after we went to the consultation with the helmet people.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 12:43 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• We pretty much felt like it's better to fix it now while her head is still soft, so to speak. After about 18 months, I think the only way to fix it is with surgery. Plus I don't want her to get made fun of later and when she's older ask why we didn't fix it when it was easy. I don't know how to add a picture, so here is a link to show you my daughter in her cranial band.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=31189684&l=e1e8edec56&id=1341140697
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 12:50 PM on Apr. 30, 2010