Why the uptick in racism?

I see many feel there has been an uptick in racism in the past year. I agree. Do you think there had been strides to stop racism in the past? Do you think having a black President has helped, hurt or not had an effect. What do you think is the reason for the uptick?

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 11:08 AM on Apr. 30, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• No one said that it was the presidents fault. However I do feel that those who are the extremist and are racists in the black community, feel more comfortable to come out with their true hateful feelings towards whites, since we have a black president. I really don't think it would matter weather or not it was Obama or someone else. However I don't think Obama has helped the situation at all. He has not discouraged this behavior, he had the perfect opportunity to help discourage this when the whole Gates thing came up. I feel like the way he handled that, just put more fuel on the fire, rather it be intentional or not.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• Its not the black presidents fault but the people who have a problem with there being a black president. I have seen more people talk about AA being sloths and greedy than I ever have in the past.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• "Its not the black presidents fault but the people who have a problem with there being a black president. I have seen more people talk about AA being sloths and greedy than I ever have in the past."

_______________________________________________________________________

I live in the deep south.  I haven't seen any "sloths" around here.  I have seen plenty of azz sitting with hands out saying "gimme gimme gimme."  If you can't handle the truth change it.

I believe this president has set race relations back at least 50 years.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• If there is an "uptick", then I think it would be due to people being defensive. They think right away that if you don't like Obama, you must not like him because he's half black. And then that stirs up the subject.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 11:40 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• I do not think there has been an uptick in racism I believe that it has only been brought more forward since this election.
    Anonymous