I have to have an ultrasound done cause baby isnt breathing... Im worried

I went in for a normal NST today and in the 30mins on the monitor baby didnt move once. So my midwife did an ultrasound just to check on the baby. She made a strange face and said hmm... Which is never good. She said babys heartbeat was strong but she wasnt breathing... So now im being sent to the hospital for a different ultrasound so they can better see whats up. The fluid level is fine but she just isnt moving a whole lot. Im kinda pissed and worried cause i told the nurse at the hospital a week ago that she had slowed movement by a lot but no one did or said anything about it. And i somehow lost 5lbs in a week! Im 35wks3days. Has this happend to anyone else?

Keaton_Hazel

Asked by Keaton_Hazel at 11:29 AM on Apr. 30, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I'm sorry this is happening to you, it sounds very scary. But I just don't quite understand. The baby is not breathing? I thought they didn't take thier first breath until after they are born? Are you meaning something else? Like is there not enough oxygen in the blood or the placenta going to the baby? I don't think I understand. Sorry.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• I don't understand either. Babies don't take their first breath until they are born, the only way they "breath" is because the umbillical cord is supplying oxygen to the baby. Is there a problem with the umbillical cord do you mean?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• they do "Breathe" the amniotic fluid, it helps to develop their lungs. It is generally expelled from the lungs in the last couple of weeks, due to hormonal changes that bring on labor.

Momma, there is no sense in being stressed, it helps no one. This is one of those times that you take a bath, eat some chocolate, and watch a funny movie (In Her Shoes is great!)... There is nothing that YOU can do, outside of taking care of yourself! Drink plenty of fluids, get some rest.
    BTW, my weight fluctuated horribly w/ my last 2 pregnancies. I wouldn't worry too much about it- 5 lbs one way or another can be as simple as excess water weight. If you have had a lot of diuretics (like oranges, melon, coffee/tea, or changed your diet in any other way) that can account of the weight- also, what you're wearing does. Make sure that you wear something to each visit that is about the same weight. It makes a HUGE difference.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:51 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• I wouldnt be concerned about a baby not taking "practice breaths" and only 35 weeks! They usually start around 36 weeks so I wouldnt be concerned at this point AT ALL
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 12:36 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• Are you a first time mother, if so I would be worried cause this is a first pregnancy. I was scared as hell when my doctor told me that the baby was not breathing in the womb. And as you get futher along the baby has less room to move so I would not be that worred about that. Good luck
    Anonymous