What is the best way to Iron a Prom dress

I do not know the material other then it is BIG has several layers...I guess it would be Taffeta type outer shell and probably nylon layers.
I have one daughter who says it should be steamed in the shower.
We do not have a dry cleaner...we live in the country

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Apr. 30, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Having previously owned a drycleaners, I can help. If you can not get it to a cleaners to be pressed, as you have stated, there are definitely a few things to know. First....keep the heat extremely low so that it will not be scorched. Secondly since this dress has layers, flip the outer layers up and begin with the layer that will be closest to your daughters body on the underportion. Work your way out to the top layer in this fashion. I would spray nothing on it at all, such as water or starch, etc., as it could cause stains or discolorations. Take your time whilst you do it and I imagine that it will come out quite nicely.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• If you use an iron it could melt the fabric. Can you get a steamer? I'd be afraid. I would drive to the nearest dry cleaner.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:37 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• shower idea for sure. and if that doesn't work turn it inside out lay a thin towel over material and iron on a low setting.
    cleo2582

Answer by cleo2582 at 11:37 AM on Apr. 30, 2010