Going from formula to whole milk

To gear him up for it I was mixing his bottles/sippy cups with half formula and half milk before switching him altogether, but now that he is on pretty much ALL milk he poops almost immediately after drinking it. EVERY TIME. Is this a sign that he should not be drinking whole milk or may have some kind of reaction to it? He seems fine other than the constant poops after his milk. I am not totally inexperienced but my daughter never had this problem so this is all new to me!

Ctink8189

Asked by Ctink8189 at 11:48 AM on Apr. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter did the same thing, its very normal. their bodies take time to learn to digest new things. Most doctors will tell you to make sure you start with 1/4 real milk then to 1/2 then 3/4 and then straight milk over a couple month peroid, once his poop goes back to normal you can start to add more milk. Every kid is different so if you are still not sure, ask your pediatricain.
    SLVN_Jen

Answer by SLVN_Jen at 11:50 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• I think for some people milk just has a sort of laxative quality about it. It usually make me have to go. As long as they aren't explosive diarhhea then he is probably ok. Call the nurse line if you are still unsure.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Apr. 30, 2010

• Sounds like your son could have a sensitivity to the milk. Good that you did the half and half thing for awhile. Maybe check with your pediatrician. ?? If it isn't diarrhea then I wouldn't worry too much.
    hollysybb

Answer by hollysybb at 3:21 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• Water is the only beverage your child needs. Cow milk is for baby cows, and humans don't need it. Like many other nutrients, and despite the claims of the dairy industry, plant based calcium is superior to animal based. While cow mild is rich in protein, the kind of protein that is contains is casein, while human milk protein is lactalbumin, with is easily digestible; more the 50% of casein isn’t digested and can cause health problems later in life, like food allergies. Here is some of what the doctors at the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine say: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html

Answer by rkoloms at 8:29 AM on May. 1, 2010