How do burglars know that nobody is home?

My aunt's house has been robbed 2 times already.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:27 PM on Apr. 30, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Depends on the burgler. My dad worked nights growing up and one night I was working on a jigsaw puzzle til around 3 am. Three hours later, my sister woke me up to ask where my dad's VCR (yeah I know), stereo, and CDs went. That meant someone was watching our house. They knew my father worked nights and were just waiting for the lights to go out. If I would have not fallen asleep right away or woke up, I can only imagine the worst. To this day, I keep a light on and alternate it. It still haunts me. I sometimes am afraid someone is watching the times my husband leaves for work or whatever.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 4:54 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• They case your house or Its somebody you know.
    akmami0f4

Answer by akmami0f4 at 12:28 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• Most times they case the place before going in which means they may be watching the house to see when she is home or not. Maybe your aunts community could get a neighborhood watch organized or atleast ask neighbors who may be home to kind of keep an eye out. It wouldnt hurt for her to maybe install an alarm like with a company that will monitor it some packages could be affordable also tell her to get a lock box with her important stuff jewelry ect and hide it.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 12:30 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• yeah they case or they do what they did to ours.. ring the door bell 20 times then go around to the back thinking no one is home because no one answered the door and get inside ... only to find out my son called 911 and the only thing they took was my check book and my son's dad's lap top .... and ran off .

Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:31 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• no car, no lights, no sound at your home. sometimes if they live near you they watch a lot and see patterns of when you are or aren't usually there. They see you loading up the car before going out of town, things like this.
    I lost my key the other day and had to go to a doctors appt. so i left the t.v. and a few lights on.
    Anonymous

• They case the joint. LOL OF course they watch for things that say "we are not home" Many times they watch whole sections of neighborhoods over a week or so to find just the right houses to rob. They look to see if there is cover from bushes and to see if the windows are easy access. They even check out the houses that are close to make sure there is less chance of someone seeing them.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:34 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• My mothers house was broke into last summer while they were out of town. Guess who it was, her neighbor/friend who was suppose to be watching the house, it was there kids. All they stole was my step fathers hunting guns.
    Anonymous

• there is a show about how they take former robbers and they break into a house then bring in the homeowner to tell them how it happened
    Is there a window near the door lock?
    anything in the yard that can be stacked to get through a window?
    having the newspaper or mail left out is a sign?
    I knew a guy who robbed houses in the daytime, he waited for people to be in the back yard and he would go through the front door, take what he wanted and leave out the front door.
    Ever watch those brinks security commercials? where they stage a break in? that is for real...like a guy jogging by then when you leave they break in the door.
    another thing close your curtains at night so your home contents aren't seen by the world. Ever hear of google street veiw? you can pick a house and zoom in and study the house,locks,windows. My sisters house is all windows and you ca see inside her house with street veiw
    Anonymous

• Yes many scope it out beforehand.Sadly some will even send their children around to scope for them..trying to make it appear more innocent.Meth heads do that type of thing.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 12:53 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• I have heard that some robbers will take your name off your mail box and call information for the phone number. Then they call your house and see if any one answers. I would imagine they do this in addition to staking your house out.

Anonymous