What are you doing for your food storage TODAY?

I am still rearranging my cupboards and checking out my food situation. I think we could last for three months if we had NO money. But that isn't good enough.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:28 PM on Apr. 30, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Wow... 3 months? What are you storing? We eat fresh fruit, meat, and veggies, I can't store any of that unless I freeze it. I do have some frozen veggies, and some meat in the freezer.. I also put in a small garden so that will supply us with tomatoes, red bell peppers and strawberries... I just can't see eating processed foods, and storing them, when there's so much food available to grow, can, etc...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:33 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• nothing...we are moving in 5-6 weeks and even if we weren't- unless we buy some meat at costco or something we don't store much.
    I am in Utah though and people here go NUTS with storage
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 12:43 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• I try to eat fresh whenever I can since it's so much healthier. Having too many stored foods is wasted money IMO. I'd rather have it in my pocket than on my pantry shelf.
    Anonymous

• I keep a supply of dried grains on hand b/c I can either cook them up as is or grind them into flour for making breads or pasta. I also keep a supply of canned goods b/c they are just as nutritious as fresh; I stock up for the lean times.

We have a large garden and I can or freeze as much as possible from it for use later in the year. I grow a bunch of different veggies & fruits, so we have a nice variety. Once one thing is harvested, something else will be planted in its place, so the garden is working until the first heavy frost. Stored properly, we can eat from our garden almost until the next Spring planting.

DH is in construction; I know there will be lean months once it gets cold & I stock up accordingly so that money can be used for bills & I don't have to worry about food.

Anonymous

• I have enough meat and bread for about a month, but a minimal amount of frozen and canned veggies and fruit. We eat fresh, since is it healthier and tastes better. I freeze meat when I get a good deal, and bread because it is something that I hate to run out of.

If you are in the great depression era, or are LDS I understand why you stock up, but I think most people don't.

For those that stock up for when you have lean months in terms of money, why don't you save the money and buy your food fresh when you need it?
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 11:54 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• We couldn't last very long. We are so broke right now. Where did you get the tips/ recipes for canned recipes? Sounds like you're doing well. My mother in law did so well that she has to throw out stuff (honey from 10 years ago??) so it can be taken too far. But with kids (like you have) i think it's smart. For my MIL living alone, she could tone it down now.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 4:35 PM on May. 1, 2010

• Love your response, twin mommy!
    Anonymous

• Are you one of these the sky is falling people?
    Anonymous