How does a vow renewing work?

My husband and I have been married for two years, but we got married at the courthouse without family and friends in attendance. Well, now we're ready to finally have a real wedding ceremony with our family and friends invited. But I know it'll be a different way since we're already married. I mean, do we exchange rings, have bridesmaids/groomsmen and does my dad get to escort me down the aisle? I don't know how this works and any advice/tips I can get would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

poptart0325

Asked by poptart0325 at 12:30 PM on Apr. 30, 2010 in Relationships

• I don't think it's generally that formal, but it's your day part 2, so u do what feels right!

The purpose is to re state your vows/promises and confirm you still feel the same way and have the same intentions, goals, etc
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 12:32 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• I am not a fan of vow renewals, but if you choose to do one you can do whatever you like. There is no formal rite, and you certainly can have a full fledged wedding if that is what you would like to do.

Can you tell us why you want to do this now? Do you have children?
    Suzy_Sunshine

Answer by Suzy_Sunshine at 1:27 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• Because we didn't have a wedding before, we just got married at the courthouse. And my dad didn't get to walk me down the aisle and he's constantly reminding me. My family and friends didn't get to be there when we got married at the courthouse. And I want to finally have the wedding that we've always wanted, along with our family and friends being there. Yes, I have 1 daughter. She is almost 2.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 1:37 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• I think it's different for each denomination (I'm assuming you're looking for a church wedding this time? I could be totally wrong). For example, if you're Catholic- since you never received the sacrament of marriage, you aren't even technically married right now (in the Church's eyes). So I *think* you'd go through the entire wedding ceremony as if you were never married. If you're protestant I'm sure they do things totally different. I'd just say to talk to your pastor and he could probably give better advice!
    Anonymous

• We don't follow any religion. So... lol.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 2:22 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• It seems to me that you decided not to have a wedding for what were probably good reasons at the time. The idea of a do over is just odd to me. And it comes across like a gift grab. Why not have a big celebration for your children's birthdays instead?
    Suzy_Sunshine

Answer by Suzy_Sunshine at 2:29 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• It is not a gift grab. We're not even asking anyone for gifts. It is to have a wedding so our family and friends can be there to celebrate with us because they weren't able to the first time.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 2:51 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• Why didn't you throw a wedding when you were married? And if you invite people to a wedding you are asking them for gifts.
    Suzy_Sunshine

Answer by Suzy_Sunshine at 3:20 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• We didn't have a wedding because we couldn't afford one at the time and we lived in a completely different state than our family and friends. And we didn't throw a wedding shower because I'm not throwing a wedding shower for myself. And it does not automactially mean you are asking for gifts if you invite someone to a wedding. You invite someone to a wedding because you want them to celebrate in your happiness and your moment, not for gifts.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 3:30 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• When you're already married and you invite someone to a wedding, it comes across as a gift grab.
    Suzy_Sunshine

Answer by Suzy_Sunshine at 3:51 PM on Apr. 30, 2010