Do most moms feel like a job is raising their kids and doing housework?

Because I believe a job is bringing in income. If this is the case, why aren't dads all rebelling and trying to stay home too? What makes it so right for a woman and not a man? Who says it's the man's responsibility to work? I don't understand this way of thinking. If a marriage if 50/50, wouldn't that mean kids, housework and WORKING for money? Also, while I am trying to understand this, does the same apply to single moms? WHY NOT? They have kids and a home too? Is this SAHM stuff really feasible in our economy? Wouldn't it be better if all moms were working as well as dads so that we actually have some social security, medicare, etc. when we get to be that age? I sense that too many people are on welfare because they feel entitled to be at home with their children? Wrong or right????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:33 PM on Apr. 30, 2010 in Just for Fun

• IMO if you have to be on welfare to stay home with your children you need to go out and get a job, simple as that. I would love to stay home with my child but food on the table is more important and I can take pride that I was the one that paid for that food not peoples tax money.
    delanibug

Answer by delanibug at 3:15 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• Nicely said! I agree!
    Anonymous

• People stay at home moms are doing a job. Well then I guess I am doing 3 jobs! I agree with you too!
    Anonymous

• No its not feasible for everyone. I am thankful that I can stay home and raise my children. Our marriage is 50/50. I take care of our children and home and my husband works outside the home to provide income. I do know a few stay at home dads. I have NEVER been on are needed any type of government assistance. If my family needed me to work them I would. We have also made the choice to educate our children at home through Elementary school. So yes I believe that what I do is a job. I raise and educate my children. This is the most important thing I will ever do. I could never put my children in daycare. I did not have children so that I could leave them 5 days a week for 10 or so hours a day.

laciD

Answer by laciD at 12:38 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• I'm a SAHM, have been for 13 yrs... My Husband drives over the road, gone 4-6 weeks at a time. So you mean to tell me I'm supposed to work 40 hours/week, leave our kids with a sitter, and risk them doing things they shouldn't just because I want more money.... We, thankfully can afford for me to be home, and we also agree one of us needs to be there for our children since I don't have any family alive anymore and his are in England, and over 2000 miles away. Who are our children supposed to rely on if they can't rely on one of us to be there for them? I refuse to put our children in daycare (a kennel for kids). I have worked in them, I know what they are all about, and it's NOT the kids... It's all about the money.
    Worry about what you need to do, opinions are like a$$holes, everyone has one....
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:39 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• I make myself think of staying home as a job..that way everything I need to do gets done.
    I am the one to stay home with my children for several reasons.
    1. My DH makes more money than I do. Therefore it wouldnt' make sense financially for us to switch but I would if I was the one to make more.
    2.Sorry, but he's not going to pump his nipples until he creates milk to breastfeed. So I do.
    3.IF we decided that we should both work...daycare alone would take up 75% of what income I would bring in.
    4.I LOVE staying home with my children, its OUR choice and what works for our family right now.
    5.I AM ENTITLED TO STAY HOME WITH MY KIDS. I birthed them.I want to stay with them.Thier father wants me to stay with them.I CAN stay with them so I will and I do.
    P.S. And I was a working mom..for 9 years to be exact.So I DO understand. A single mom has to do what she has to do.I did.Now I do what I CAN do. Don't like it?SO WHAT.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:41 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• i kinda agree with laci.. i put my career on hold so i could stay home with my kids and yes it is a job, no i don't get paid with money but it's not the monitary things that i look for from my life as a mom or wife...my dh and i both chose that he would work and i'd stay home because we can, i am not on any assistance my dh makes enough where my car is paid off, we own our house and my kids have everything they need now when they both start school, i'll continue my education as well and go back to work but right now i don't have to
    Anonymous

• Do the women that own/run/work at a daycare WORK, in your opinion?
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 12:43 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• I also wanted to add that me staying home with our children is extremely important to my husband. We planned on me staying home for atleast the first 5 years before we even began trying to conceive.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 12:44 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• Being a SAHM or SAHD is a privilege. If you are lucky enough to have a spouse who makes enough income to provide for the family while the other parent stays home that is awesome. I am a PT working parent and my DH does not make enough for me to stop working all together but even if he did I wouldn't I enjoy my job. I would love to cut back my hours more but that is not possible at this time. My children are not in daycare. They are in a private home with a lady who loves them dearly. Daycare is not as bad as all that but yes they are in it for the money. That is the nature of a business. Not every family wants to or has the means to have one parent at home all the time. That is OKAY. :0) Everyone parent's differently based on their families needs. Sometimes the need is for both parents to work in order to provide.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:47 PM on Apr. 30, 2010