How do your kids handle moving to a new home?

My kids are 8 & 12 and grew up in the house where we are currently living. We recently found out we will have to move and the kids are not taking it well at all. They are both devastated that they will have to leave their friends and their school and no matter what we say/do we can't seem to convince them that everything will work out fine. I always hear that kids are resilient, but any tips on how to make the transition a little easier or at least help them to see the bright side?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:37 PM on Apr. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• this is hard...My poor kids have moved alot and I hate it. We lost our home when my son was in kinder so he had to change schools after a few mos. I figured he would do ok...NOPE it was hard he ahted it and cried. he missed his friends, teachers and of all things hated the name of his new school! he did adjust but it was heartbreaking. We may have to move again but this will be the last one and we will stay in the area but even so I mentioned it to my son 1st grade now and he is not thrilled but I told him we would be sure he can start at the beginning of the school yr. Who knew moving when they were in school was so hard? I wish your kids the best! Its hard and they are older so to me thats even harder. My poor kid couldn't handle it in kinder! LOL
    Anonymous

• We bought our first home in Oct. the oldest one is still not adjusting too well. In fact we are building a new home next summer and she cannot wait but we are not sure why.
    lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 2:10 PM on Apr. 30, 2010