how to deal with a VERY social/outgoing child when you are awkward/shy

My daughter is a social butterfly, obsessed w/ making friends, having playdates, birthday party invites, etc. I myself cringe at her friends Moms trying to converse w/ me since I am rather anti social and very shy w/ new people. Is there a remedy to this?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 12:38 PM on Apr. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• sadly no remedy....

you just have to take yourself out of your comfort zone, grin and bear it.

I'm like that too, my middle dd is a little social butterfly too. its awkward and miserable but if it makes her happy I'll do it.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 5:46 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• Well, I was such a painfully shy child and so was my husband so I basically am MAKING myself be outgoing and social to show our also shy son that's its ok to talk to people. He's far from as shy as we were but I can completely understand why its hard for you.. I am socialphobic - yes, that's a real disease.. I am taking cymbalta right now for it and I will tell you, it helps a ton. My husband takes an herbal form of mood stabilizer - StJohns Wort and that helps him socialize also - I know how uncomfortable it is to be shy and be at social events is all.. good luck!~
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:47 PM on Apr. 30, 2010