can some1 please explain to me the child psychology of.....

birthday parties? My kids are only 19 months apart and all their peers/friends/etc are completely mental over birthday parties right now, inviting anyone and everyone and just non stop chatter over planning them, the cake colors, the theme, where it will be, and so on. I don't recall the fanatical nature of this from my own childhood (I was born in '81) is it a generational thing?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 12:40 PM on Apr. 30, 2010 in Just for Fun

• First off I now feel old today. Born in 81" I was graduating from HS. JK Anyway, I think it's more of who you hang out with or where you live. We have both types of people here. Those that throw huge birthday parties for everyone in their family. to those who just do cake and ice cream with family and close friends.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 12:47 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• We have mothers in our neighborhood and in school that need to be top dog so to speak. Out do everyone else. Think of your child, what are the consequences of not doing a party, but you don't need to do a blow out. Make it the most fun, simple activity and the kids will love it. Make your child feel special for their special day, that is all that matters. Some people are just crazy that way.
    Anonymous

• Children are just more advanced then we were. Sometimes it like crazy how much little children can tell you. Little kids tell me thing that for sure I didn't know until I was older. Kids are just growing up way to fast these years.
    akmami0f4

Answer by akmami0f4 at 12:44 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• My mom always had nice parties for me with theme and decoration, she decorated my cake to match, goodie bags, balloons...deciding whether to have it at home(inside or out) or the park. I was born in '76. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:54 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• Kids don't know about big parties if they dont have them or go to them. My s on will be 6 soon and so far all he knows is that on his birthday he wears a birthday crown and gets to go to target and buy whatever toy he wants then goes out to eat with his family.
    Anonymous

• While I AM into having a theme of some sort (I just like being festive), the most important thing to the kids is to have a good time. I invite family and family friends, then the kids get to invite a handful of friends over. Somehow Katiana's birthday was rated as "the best birthday ever", and since we played the same games my GRANDMA probably played at HER 11th birthday, I can't figure out why it was so much fun. Maybe Tiki Says and Hot Coconut ARE better than Simon Says and Hot Potato. LOL. Seriously, I don't mind spending 2 hours entertaining a bunch of kids once a year, and making it festive with decorations is fun to me. Of course, my mom used to take me and 4 friends to the park and we had a blast, too. :)
    BethLopez

Answer by BethLopez at 6:29 PM on Apr. 30, 2010