Is it appropriate to send a sympathy card to close family members?

My husband's grandmother just passed away. Is it appropriate for me to send sympathy cards to my husband's aunts and uncles, or is it un-necessary since we will be attending the wake/funeral and it is "immediate" family?

Stinababalina

Asked by Stinababalina at 1:03 PM on Apr. 30, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• it is never inappropraite to express sympathy for a loss
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:06 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• My MIL just died (we had the funeral on Wednesday).  I didn't send a card because we are "the family".

beeky

Answer by beeky at 1:07 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• I think it's totally appropriate and if you feel you want to do it, you should. I am sure they would appreciate any extra sympathy extended to them. I know I did when my grandmother died.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 1:08 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• Thats a heart felt thing to do.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 1:10 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• Sure if your heart says to do that then its fine !
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:13 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• I think that would be very appropriate... It just shows how much you really care! Very nice and thoughtful of you.
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 1:20 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• I think it depends on how strongly you feel about it. If its a strong feeling that you need to do it then go for it.

I, personally, would not simply because since we will be together I can show my sympathy then with hugs and words coming directly from me to them.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 1:21 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• Well it would not be the norm and is not necessary, but if you wanted to do it that would be fine. More commonly you support one another during the services and grieve together. If you will not be attending the services then you certainly should send a card and also flowers.
    Suzy_Sunshine

Answer by Suzy_Sunshine at 1:24 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• It's perfectly fine to send cards if you want to. You don't have to since you'll all see one another at the wake/funeral. However, it might give them that extra feeling of support when they recieve their card. It's truely up to you. Either way is perfectly fine.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:24 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• Yes I'm sure they would appreciate it.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 3:46 PM on Apr. 30, 2010