Normal toddler behavior??

I have noticed that my son is quite a perfectionist! If something isn't right, he'll get mad. Example: Every morning after his milk he'll get ALL of his vehicles (About 15) and bring them over one-by-one to either myself or my husband and we put them on the couch next to us. If we put one down on the floor before he's done, he'll have an absolute temper trantrum until we put it back on the floor. Once he's done, he'll give us the trucks that he wants to roll across the floor until all of them are off the couch.

He always makes sure they're in the right spot and double checks a few times before getting the next vehicle.

I'm a first-time mom so I'm really not sure if this is the type of thing toddlers usually do?? I'm not worried, just wondering if there's anything I can do to help him not be so upset over little things??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:12 PM on Apr. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sounds like he's a little OCD. I had a toddler at daycare like that. He would take all the cars/people from the bucket and horde them in a pile and no one else was allowed to play with them... and no matter what activity we were doing as a class... he would just want to play with the cars/people..... don't know if it's normal or if it's just the start of the disorder... or if some toddlers are just a little OCD though...
    Anonymous

• stuff like that can be a sign of autism but if he is acting normally otherwise. Making eye contact and interacting normally then it is probably just a little quirk he has.
    Anonymous

• He's 20 months and everything else is fine besides his speech. Although, he's starting to finally talk within the last 2 weeks. We've had him evaluated and autism was definitely ruled out.

I thought of OCD, which if he keeps it up I'll talk to the doctor about it. He's still so young so maybe it's just a stage.
    Anonymous

• It's not OCD. It's way to early to test for OCD anyhow. It can be a sign of Autism like a previous post said. Even a mild version like Ausbergers. That's what they thought about my cousin there for a while too. He was about 2-3 .. And he had lettered bean bags that he'd carry over to the ottomon on by one. He'd place them down in order from A-Z and recite the letter as he set it down. Each on in a specific place. If someone moved it over even an inch he would have a melt down until it was put back the way he had it. He did this with other toys too. I don't know if he's the same way now that he's a couple years older, but it did turn out that he didn't have Ausbergers like they had originally thought.

It can be very normal for toddlers to be as specific as you're explaining. They're learning control, how to manipulate things, and exploring their own behaviour towards certain things.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:22 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• He might just be testing the limits. Because he is the only child in the house hes used to doing things his way and they don't get messed up. Maybe ask him to share his toys or start a new routine with them just to make sure. If he interacts with mostly grown ups he is used to getting his way.
    Anonymous

• My son is this way too and he's 2-1/2 and the younger he was the worse or more particular I should say, it was.. He doesn't like to get dirty - he places his cars in row's all along each other and places them in particular spots and at first he was very particular about them and would get upset too , he's gotten better with that though - at bedtime we had a 25 minute "checklist" of everything he needed to sleep with or needed next him... we lessoned now though !Lol ... I am a first time mommy too and at first I was concerned a little but now, not anymore.. its just max and how he is..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:52 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• I think it's pretty normal... My girls are both like that with certain things, but my husband is a bit OCD himself, and we keep a very orderly home (I mean it gets torn to shreds every day with a 1.5 and 3 year-old, but it gets put back together exactly the same way every day, too). We've kept pretty predictable routines because our girls have responded well to them either by their nature or because we've trained them that way. Once he can talk a bit more, he'll be able to articulate what he wants and he'll also start to loosen up about certain things, I bet. I think kids do thrive on predictability, though, and it sounds like he's just trying to make his little world the way he wants it to be! So I'd think of it as OCD not as the actual disorder, but as we tend to throw the term around in everyday parlance.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:43 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• he is fine, my lil one is that way with her dirty clothes,she has to have them all off the florr and in her basket,sheis also that way with grass or anything else on her feet when we come in from outside. i bet he knows exactly how many he has, like if u hide 2 of them im sure he will know there are some missing,its a good thing.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:32 PM on May. 1, 2010

• I would say he sounds fine. All of our eight children (well, not the newborn yet) have their little quirks. One doesn't like anything on her hands and would wash them all day if I let her, then wants me to sniff each side of both hands in a certain order to smell how clean they are, another lines his cars all up like your son, another has to have his Lego creations in a certain order by the bed every night. Then you have the opposite. Some children like everything just fine thrown in a heap!
    MyGiftsFromGod

Answer by MyGiftsFromGod at 2:15 AM on May. 2, 2010