Genetically Modified food causes sterility in hamsters. Is GM food a way to end world hunger or population control?

http://www.salem-news.com/articles/april262010/gm-food-as.php

(SALEM, Ore.) - Today Salem-News reports that a joint experiment by Russia’s National Association for Gene Security and the Institute of Ecological and Evolutional Problems has revealed that hamsters fed genetically modified (GM) foods produce grandchildren that are unable to produce fourth generation offspring.

Scientist Alexei Surov described the experiment, in which they monitored the behavior, weight gain and birthrate of several groups of hamsters. Upon birth of the second generation they noted slower rates of growth and sexual maturity. The next generation was unable to produce[1].

yourspecialkid

Asked by yourspecialkid at 1:21 PM on Apr. 30, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• http://www.salem-news.com/articles/april262010/gm-food-as.php

Studies showed stunted growth, impaired immune systems, bleeding stomachs, abnormal and potentially pre-cancerous cell growth in the intestines, impaired blood cell development, misshaped cell structures in the liver, pancreas and testicles, altered gene expression and cell metabolism, liver and kidney lesions, partially atrophied livers, inflamed kidneys, less developed organs, reduced digestive enzymes, higher blood sugar, inflamed lung tissue, increased death rates and higher offspring mortality as well[3].

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 1:23 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• An estimated seventy-five percent of our processed foods contain some form of genetically modified (GM) ingredients. Are we willing as a nation to risk the lives of our future children and grandchildren to discover that these effects are only observed in animals? How likely is it that we will be experiencing these same effects on a personal level as we consume more genetically modified organisms against our will?

Please forgive the cut and paste. I just found this worrisome.
    yourspecialkid

• I am trying to at least reduce the # of GMO's from our grocery list, but, they are not marked as such. At the moment, I try to find stuff that is marked GMO free (or GEI free) but those products are few and far between at the moment!

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 1:32 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• Go vegetarian, you won't have to worry!

Answer by older at 1:33 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• Thats why we try to eat as much organic foods as possble. When they came out with the GMO idea years ago I thought it was a bad idea then as well. Give your local farmers markets some business this summer.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 1:34 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• What is GEI ? Is that simular to GMO?
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 1:35 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

older, most GM foods are vegetables! Corn is one of the biggest offenders. This is one reason we are working to make our vegetable garden all heirloom varieties. It is a challenge considering where we live.

pnwmom, I know what you mean. Watch out for the organics though. To some people organic just means no pesticides.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 1:38 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• I have to run to the store..hopefully I will find some safe food! I'll check back in later.

older, I wasn't trying to bash your answer. I think your first thought was the genetic engineering that has gone on with animals.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 1:39 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• it sounds crazy but just last night DH was talking about the US wanting to try to do "population control".... he said something about putting something in our water source that will sterilize men..
    Anonymous

• Oh wow, thanks for the heads up. I need to check for both.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 1:40 PM on Apr. 30, 2010