My 18 Month old daughter supposedly scratched an infant in the face at daycare.

My question is why was she even near an infant and where were the teachers!? What should I do/say? I am not saying she did not do it bc I wasn't there. Seems like negligence on day care! Please advise

MrsJStearns

Asked by MrsJStearns at 1:22 PM on Apr. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my dd was a year old in daycare and she was still in the infant room...we pulled her out very quickly..the day care was horrible...apparently kids stay in the infant room until 2 years of age.......we were so mad bc dh found dd in a crib screaming at the top of her lungs, while all the other kids were down and playing...that was the first day.....and we had to have a lawyer send a letter for the rest of our money back.....sorry, i don't care for daycare facilities...lol...there should be at least 2 teachers there,..you can't say anything but sorry for it...but i don't think you're wrong in that it's their fault...they should've been watching..it's not like they have to go get the kids lunches ready or anything...they're only job is to watch/teach the kids.
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 1:28 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• My first question to the daycare would be why on earth are you putting an 18month of in a room with infants. They are being irresponsible by doing that. I agree with you I think its completely their fault.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 1:24 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• Sounds like negligence to me too. I would take my child out of that daycare...
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 1:24 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• that was my 1st thought! why is she in a classroom with infants when she is a toddler! and why did the teacher let her do it! I too believe that they should have separate rooms so it was their fault!
    TatymMommi

Answer by TatymMommi at 1:26 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• Generally daycares have infants from 6 months to 18 months in the same room and then they transition at 18 months to the toddler room. At 3 years they go to the young 3 year old room then at 4 they go to the preschool room.
    At least thats how it was at every place I've worked at when I was a preschool teacher.
    Did they just let you know about the incident or are they saying your child is acting out or accusing of some kind of wrong doing or something, like are they saying she was being aggressive or was it just an accident?
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:30 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• I worked at a daycare in the baby room. At 18 months, they are suppose to go to the toddler room. I had kids from 4 weeks to 17 months.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:31 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• shes 18 months..shes a little sponge picks up stuff from others all the time...but i wouldnt say she was being watched..let me give you my story.. my son was playing with my bff son they kept taking each others toys..i kept getting up (there with them in the nursery) i would tell one "no its his turn" tell my kid "now its his turn" so any ways im there and my bff son comes from behind and knocks my son to the floor so as im getting up to go separate them yet again...(my sons face just hit the floor) as im walking my son is now turning to see who just knocked him down and sees him and bites the heck out of him on the cheeck!!! did i mention i was not even 2 feet from them,do you know how fast this stuff happens? really really fast...good thing for me it was my bff's kid (cause she is like so sweet) i was crying thinking how did this happen and her kids cheek is swallen and my kid was in the corner..he had never bitten anyone
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 1:34 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• I worked at a day care in high school and have never seen a 6month old in a room with a 18 month old. The day cares in my area have rooms from 0 to 6 months. 6 to 12 months. 18 to 24 months.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 1:35 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• left out the 12 to 18 months sorry :-)
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 1:36 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• Laws are different in different states. I was in Texas. They are 0-18 months 18-36months 3-4(mixed with school kids later)
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:38 PM on Apr. 30, 2010