How can I know that my baby has an allegy to solid food?

I started giving him rice cereal as recommended by his pediatric but I notice that he has dry patches on his face, leg, arm. How could I know if it is an allegy or smth else?does anyone experience the same thing.

Imane1215

Asked by Imane1215 at 1:32 PM on Apr. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Stop giving it and see if it clears up. You don't have to give rice cereal ... a recommendation is just a suggestion.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:36 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• Talk to your doctor. Don't ask the people on this board. You are going to get every superstition, homeopathic cure and old wives tale possible.
    Anonymous

• Yea, you never want to do what a pediatrician recommends.... their just your child's doctor.
    Anonymous

• I agree with amileegirl, stop feeding it to him and see if it goes away in a couple of days. If it doesn't then it may just be dry skin. Normally they will have a rash of some sort if its an allergy, but see if it clears up first.
    NAT24ROXY24

Answer by NAT24ROXY24 at 1:39 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• Ithink that I should give him solid food at this age 4mths 3 weeks
    Imane1215

Answer by Imane1215 at 1:39 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• Food allergies are super tricky. I had food testing done at the age of 24 and was surprised by some of the foods I was allergic to. Some foods that I ate daily and had no idea. The only way to know for sure is to have testing done.

That being said, it is close to impossible to be allergic to rice. It just isn't a food that triggers an allergy response. You didn't say if you BF or FF. If you FF, your baby would have more chance of being allergic to dairy or soy than the rice cereal. What you are describing though sounds like baby eczema and not a food allergy.

The most common symptoms of food allergies in babies is a red rash around the mouth, crying when they eat the food, or spitting out the food while scratching at their tongue.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 2:14 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 2:27 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• The recommended age for solids is 6 months to give the digestive system time to mature. A pedi is not a nutritionist or allergist and advice on feeding is highly based on opinion and isn't a command or mandate.

I have allergies and the best, non invasive way is to stop contact with the suspected trigger. (fyi rice cereal has a lot of iron and if you FF especially you may have major issues with constipation.)

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 2:57 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• I agree that you should stop it for a few days, and see if it clears up, and if it starts up when you reintroduce it.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:52 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• The reason you only intoduce 1 food item at a time is to determine your babys reaction. Stop the rice... wait a few days if it clears then try oatmeal for example or another single grain. Report all findings to your pediatrician.
    cracklinbread

Answer by cracklinbread at 4:43 PM on Apr. 30, 2010