dna test?

my fiance has to go to do a dna test today on a baby. he wants me to go. should i?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:44 PM on Apr. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• maybe you didn't know about this child or had assumed it was not his but a positive match will change the way you see your and your fiance/husband's life. If you haven't thought long and hard and openly with him about this don't rush into your marriage just to keep the same date. This is a huge life changing event. Feel free to delay the wedding if you need to. You can still say no you don't want that stepmom life. Years down the road it wont be so easy when you have your own children with him. I wish you the best and yes...by all means go with him :) Have you met the baby's mother? How is she?
    katie23

Answer by katie23 at 6:13 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• It's no big deal, they'll just rub a big Q-tip on the inside of his cheek. Go if you want to, otherwise he can handle it.
    Anonymous

• If he asked you to go...then GO!
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 2:03 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• yes I would go. They just swab the inside of both of their cheeks so it is very quick and easy. Is the mother going to be there? It shows that you are a permanent part of your fiance's life and will be involved with the baby as well if he/she belongs to your fiance. Stepchildren are a huge factor in a marriage. I would think very seriously about the decision before you of marrying him knowing this other woman will be in your life for the next 18 years. After you guys get married, if you handle the money, you will probably think his money is your money since you are the one who pays the bills and keeps your lives straight, (I do) you are going to lose a good portion of that money to her. If you think you can do it more power to you but be prepared for her to not be nice in the beginning. Also, if it is a match, get custody, visitation, and child support set up and ask yourself "Is this the life I want?" Because...
    katie23

Answer by katie23 at 6:09 PM on Apr. 30, 2010