making my own liquid laundry soap...no borax...

4 c. hot water

1/2 c. borax

1 c. washing soda (NOT baking soda)

1 grated bar of Ivory soap

this is the basic recipe I'm going to attempt, but I'd like to do so without the borax. i have read that borax can be replaced with baking soda...would I replace it with the same amt required (1/2 C) ? Or do I need to add a bit more or less to make it the same consistency?

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 2:35 PM on Apr. 30, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Hot water
    1 bar (4.5 oz) Ivory Soap – grated
    1 cup Washing Soda

* In a large saucepan add grated soap and enough hot water to cover. Heat over medium-low heat and stir until soap is melted.
    * Fill a large pail with 2.5 gallons of hot water, add hot soap mixture. Stir until well mixed.
    * Then add the washing soda, again stirring until well mixed.
    * Set aside to cool.
    * Use 1/2 cup per full load, stirring well before each use (will gel)

(I use Fels Naptha, not Ivory. ) It works fine. :)
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 9:09 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• I make the powdered version out of ivory soap, washing soda, and borax, but I couldn't find washing soda anywhere but Walmart, (where i won't shop because I hate crowds).

You can turn baking soda into washing soda - spread it on a cookie sheet, heat it in the oven 400 degrees for 1 hour. The heat changes the chemical composition from baking soda to washing soda.

I've been using this for months now and it's awesome! for 10 bucks I have enough laundry soap to last me almost a year - except all my friends want to "try it" and they keep dipping into it. We don't even have to use bleach on the whites any more. You only use a tablespoon per load.
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 5:48 AM on May. 1, 2010