Afraid your rights will be taken away along the border? WAKE UP - They already have...

I posted a question about this IDK at least a year ago or so; and pretty much was blown off.

Now a bunch of you are up in arms; saying oh no they're racial profiling us; I'm legal but now I'm going to be stopped and harassed at will; etc...

This is already possible w/in a 100 mile radius of the border nationwide. Some entire states are covered by that area. You can thank GWB and the patriot act.

The problem

* Normally under the Fourth Amendment of the U.S. Constitution, the American people are not generally subject to random and arbitrary stops and searches.
* The border, however, has always been an exception. There, the longstanding view is that the normal rules do not apply. For example the authorities do not need a warrant or probable cause to conduct a “routine search.”

cont'd below - give me just one sec please...

beachmamaof2

Asked by beachmamaof2 at 2:43 PM on Apr. 30, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• But what is “the border”? According to the government, it is a 100-mile wide strip that wraps around the “external boundary” of the United States.
    # As a result of this claimed authority, individuals who are far away from the border, American citizens traveling from one place in America to another, are being stopped and harassed in ways that our Constitution does not permit.
    # Border Patrol has been setting up checkpoints inland — on highways in states such as California, Texas and Arizona, and at ferry terminals in Washington State. Typically, the agents ask drivers and passengers about their citizenship. Unfortunately, our courts so far have permitted these kinds of checkpoints – legally speaking, they are “administrative” stops that are permitted only for the specific purpose of protecting the nation’s borders. They cannot become general drug-search or other law enforcement efforts.

cont
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 2:44 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• However, these stops by Border Patrol agents are not remaining confined to that border security purpose. On the roads of California and elsewhere in the nation – places far removed from the actual border – agents are stopping, interrogating, and searching Americans on an everyday basis with absolutely no suspicion of wrongdoing.
    The bottom line is that the extraordinary authorities that the government possesses at the border are spilling into regular American streets.

cont'd
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 2:45 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• Much of U.S. population affected

* Many Americans and Washington policymakers believe that this is a problem confined to the San Diego-Tijuana border or the dusty sands of Arizona or Texas, but these powers stretch far inland across the United States.
    * To calculate what proportion of the U.S. population is affected by these powers, the ACLU created a map and spreadsheet showing the population and population centers that lie within 100 miles of any “external boundary” of the United States.
    * The population estimates were calculated by examining the most recent US census numbers for all counties within 100 miles of these borders.

cont'd - to the end

beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 2:46 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• # What we found is that fully TWO-THIRDS of the United States’ population lives within this Constitution-free or Constitution-lite Zone. That’s 197.4 million people who live within 100 miles of the US land and coastal borders.
    # Nine of the top 10 largest metropolitan areas as determined by the 2000 census, fall within the Constitution-free Zone. (The only exception is #9, Dallas-Fort Worth.) Some states are considered to lie completely within the zone: Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Hawaii, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island and Vermont.

done

There is a bit more at:
    http://www.aclu.org/technology-and-liberty/fact-sheet-us-constitution-free-zone

And a map at:
    http://www.aclu.org/constitution-free-zone-map

Personally I find this infinitely more frightening for ALL of us than what is going on w/ regards to illegal immigrants. Priorities pe
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 2:48 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• http://rawstory.com/news/2008/ACLU_highlights_ConstitutionFree_Zone_100_miles_1022.html

Story from a man who claims to have been harassed.

CBP has been setting up checkpoints far inland— on highways in states such as California, Texas and Arizona, and at ferry terminalsin Washington State. Typically, the agents ask drivers and passengers about their citizenship. People are also reporting that even after they provide passports or state driver’s licenses, CBP continues to interrogate them and try to pressure them into permitting a search.

http://nationalexpositor.com/News/1447.html
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 2:52 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• Long winded aren't you? LOL

Answer by louise2 at 2:56 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• A little sorry - I am in person too; my poor friends! I've noticed it's like pulling teeth sometimes to get people to go to links sooo I try to bring the info here instead...
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 3:01 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• Think it's a coincidence that the NYPD 'stop & frisk' policy has surged? I don't...

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/02/opinion/02herbert.html

Police Department statistics show that 2,798,461 stops were made in that six-year period. In 2,467,150 of those instances, the people stopped had done nothing wrong. That’s 88.2 percent of all stops over six years. Black people were stopped during that period a staggering 1,444,559 times. Hispanics accounted for 843,817 of the stops and whites 287,218.

While crime has been going down, the number of people getting stopped by the police is going up. Last year, more than 575,000 stops were made — a record. But 504,594 of those stops were of people who had done nothing wrong. They had committed no crime, were issued no summonses and were carrying no weapons or illegal substances.

beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 3:25 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• This would be more effective if it wasn't all one person doing the talking.
    Anonymous

• This would be more effective if it wasn't all one person doing the talking

__________

Then join the conversation Anon. I'm waiting.

And btw *I*m not doing the talking - I posted a lot of information and the link that I got it from with some commentary. I was rather hoping others would be moved to comment as well; but maybe it's just too taxing for you to read allllll those words.
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 3:59 PM on Apr. 30, 2010