son pooped on the floor...potty training...

i'm a newbie so please excuse my stupidity...I am PT my son and he pooped on the floor right after i had him sit on the potty, as he was going I quickly took him to the potty. he was done before we made it lol but was that the right approach? so he remembers "oh thats right I go in the potty"?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:47 PM on Apr. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• if u think he is going to the bathroom without the bathroom part than yeah, you should quickly take him to the bathroom. lol. i know it's hard but if you keep on being consistent than everything should work out. but try to put him on the potty before he starts going, or whenever you feel like he is most likely to go. before bath time try putting him on the potty before you bathe him, or right after lunch and dinner. eventually you'll learn when he feels like going.
    khmymommi

Answer by khmymommi at 2:52 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• thank you for the encouragement khmymommi!
    Anonymous

• Yep, that's perfect. And if you can stomach it, you can actually move the floor poop into the potty while he watches. Or poop from the underwear into the potty. He'll have to figure out a lot of things -- what his body does, how to control it, how to get to where he needs to be, how to recognize that he needs to go... I think moving him to the potty each time he starts to go is a great way for him to start the association. Sometimes you can even get him there quick enough that he'll finish on the potty and then you can give him praise and a small reward.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:47 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• I agree with EmilySusan. My son was cloth diapered so we dumped his poop in the potty anyway. When it was about time to start PT I started taking him with me for the dumping, telling him poop goes in the potty. If you notice he is pooping or peeing, or if you know he hasn't gone in a while, take him to the potty and tell him this is where grownups and big kids poop and pee. Offer the potty about every 30 minutes while he is awake. Once he starts getting the hang of it, keep him in just underwear around the house so that you and he will both know when he starts to go and can get to the bathroom quickly. Forget pullups...most kids think they're diapers, so basically you're just buying more expensive diapers.
    ohbladi

Answer by ohbladi at 9:40 PM on Apr. 30, 2010