Do you want the American way or the Progressive way?

Under the rule of the progressive state citizens are limited in their choices and expected to abanden free will in deference to other's notions of fairness and what an elite decides is the greater good. Society no longer is organized around the interests of the individual. What matters is not the desires of indiviuals & families, but rather it is driven by the best practices of the experts. Will we be lured by promises of fairness & idelistic equality, or return to the American way of individual accountability and opportunity for the productive. You've seen it when you eat politically correct food, holiday school events devoid of religious content & struggle to be productive under a myriad of rules & regulations crushing business.

Natesmom507

Asked by Natesmom507 at 3:13 PM on Apr. 30, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• The American way!

emptynstr ~ It comes down to the argument of what makes you the expert, your social and religious choices have no more value then mine. ~

The American way is to let people decide for themselves. It ALSO is to understand that you WILL be offended at least occasionally and that you should roll with it instead of suing others so you feel better. It means no one should even have to give lip service to what they don't like. It means everyone should put on their big person pants and deal with things instead of complaining about how someone else does things.

If you're gay ~ fine. Just don't 'demand' or sue people so they have to say nice things to you. If you aren't religious, don't use the courts to subvert the first amendment and try to make religious people hide. If gay people can be out of the closet and on parade, so can the Christians.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 6:16 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• I will take the American way any day, just hope the progressives are taken out this year.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 3:56 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• I want the American way. The thing that scares me is the way so many of the young people (as well as some of the older) are so willing to give up their individual rights. They impede on our lives in small ways, a McDonalds toy here, salt there, increasing taxes on this that and the other, before you know it they will be in every aspect of our lives and these people will be crying, What happened? It's my right to do this or have that, Well sorry, you gave those rights away bit at a time. TO LATE!
    Anonymous

• So, one cannot be both progressive and American? The Progressive Era made big businesses accountable for the safety of the public who bought their goods. This is still important. Look at all the lead in our imported toys and goods. Women's suffrage was made possible by the progressives. Also, antitrust laws were progressive and I see them as beneficial. I think business needs to be regulated. Look at the Depression and the Dust Bowl. They are both proof that unregulated capitalism is a BAD idea. Unfortunately "individual accountability" cannot be relied on, especially when that individual stands to make money from the ignorance of the public.

I think the real problem is with lobbyists. Our politicians are all bought out.
    LittleWeloosMom

Answer by LittleWeloosMom at 4:14 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• So is the American Way also the conservative way? I mean if we are going to talk about rights then why is most Conservatives want to make abortions illegal, do not want same sex marriages? Just those two we are taking away a woman's right to choose and deny people to marry who they want.  Oh We need to regulate businesses because without regulation businesses like Massey gets 29 miners killed b/c they are not forced to provide safety measures. Instead they pay a fine which is usually way below what it would cost to implement safety measures. 

Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 4:31 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• Under the rule of the progressive state citizens are limited in their choices and expected to abanden free will in deference to other's notions of fairness and what an elite decides is the greater good.

Isn’t this still true under the ideals of the Conservative agenda they want me to abandon my idea of what is right and good for my family and my life to life under their perceived idea of the right way? It comes down to the argument of what makes you the expert, your social and religious choices have no more value then mine.

emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 4:36 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• Society no longer is organized around the interests of the individual. What matters is not the desires of individuals & families, but rather it is driven by the best practices of the experts.

Our founding Fathers intentionally set up our Federalist system of government because they knew even then that the masses are not able to make decisions based on the welfare of the whole and would only consider the welfare of the few.

emptynstr

• Will we be lured by promises of fairness & idelistic equality, or return to the American way of individual accountability and opportunity for the productive.

This one I actually agree with, we have lost far too much of the personal accountability and productiveness and that values needs to be returned to prominence.

emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 4:37 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• You've seen it when you eat politically correct food, holiday school events devoid of religious content & struggle to be productive under a myriad of rules & regulations crushing business.

If you are letting someone else tell you what to eat to be PC that’s an individual issue not the governments, and as far as religion in our schools, the privacy of your home is the place for you to teach you family values, unless of course you are unable but again that is not the place of the government to parent your children in morality or religion. Rules and regulations for business, if you think the miners in WV and elsewhere are getting a raw deal, imagine it with no regulations except the pursuit of the All Mighty Dollar.

emptynstr

• I think the TRUE American is very progressive. Too bad right wing nuts distort it.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 4:51 PM on Apr. 30, 2010