have your kids switched schools at all?

curious as to whether you kids switched schools at all?
If so why because of a move, school didn't fit them, etc?
How did they adapt and what did you do to help?

Possible my poor kids may have to switch schools again so trying to see how often others have had to change schools for their kids?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:54 PM on Apr. 30, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• All of my kids had to switch in the middle of the year. They adjusted extremely well and did not stress over the move. My oldest actually switched schools twice in a matter of months. Once out of public and into a charter school then into a different public. I simply didn't like the teaching methods of the charter and chose to move him. Again, he is much happier after the move.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 3:58 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• Mine had to switch in the middle of 5th grade, then, I hated that school and moved him after a month...then, had to move to a more permanent house, then another...So, he switched so much his 5th grade and 6th, it's a wonder he passed. We have been in the same school from 6th-8th now and will continue here. He is fine doing it...not shy, outgoing, go with the flow...
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:02 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• Orionsgirl, your kids are not happy... and didn't adjust "extremely well" they are miserable... twice in a matter of months? i went through it.. not fun.. and yes.. very stressful.. are you kidding yourself?
    Anonymous

• Hopefully what my poor daughter had to go through isn't the norm. She went to 1 school for kindergarten, 1 school for 1st and 2nd grades, 1 school for 3rd grade and she is currently in a different school for 4th grade. And we just learned we had to move at the end of the summer but I'm determined to not have her go to a different school again.
    Anonymous

• ANON:05. Don't project your misery on to my kids. Thank you for trying though. =)
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 4:25 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• My oldest had to switch schools between 1st and 2nd grades. She did fine. It wasn't a big deal to her. We're moving this summer so she'll be going to another school for 5th grade and then she'll switch schools again for 6th grade.
    I switched schools a lot as a kid because of various reasons. Went to one school for K-1, then another for 2nd, part of 3rd and 4th. For the other part of 3rd grade I went to a different school in another state before moving back. Then the school closed so I went back to school #1 for 5-6 then we moved across town so I had another school for 7th and 8th grades. I survived. The hardest one was going to 7th grade. I hated that school and didn't get along with any of the kids in my class (who treated me like dirt). I ate alone every day and had zero friends in school.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:18 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• OP here...My son had to switch after a few mos in kinder and it was not easy. he resisted and we made it fun and exiting. he did finally adpat but it was a rough few mos. He did all of 1st grade at that same school and now we may move again in Nov. We decided we will switch him the beginning of 2nd grade though verses middle of the yr! Then his sister is at a Montessori School and not happy but she is technically starting kinder. I really feel all kids adpat to this differently and I switched schools alot and hated it! I never felt grounded at all with friends, a place to live or my school.
    Anonymous

• my SD changed schools in kindergarten (before I was around). She went one semester of 1st grade at one school, then BM switched her to another school for the second semester. There she was REALLY behind and had to do a lot of work to try and catch her up. They reccommended her for tutoring through the summer and even considered holding her back - but the teacher didnt feel that she needed a repeat of the beginning of the year stuff. She started 2nd grade at the same school she finished 1st. However, in October, BM decided that she didn't like the teacher/testing and that SD should go back to the school in our district (the one she started 1st grade in). SD finished 2nd grade there. She has luckily been able to stay the entire year so far at this school. However, BM moved again, and has been considering moving SD and SS (he is in kindergarten) to a different school again. SO will fight that tooth and nail.

cont.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:04 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• SD has had a very difficult time. Socially it hasn't been too bad, but academically it has been tough. She would have struggled some anyways, but the moving back and forth has made it hard on her. She is finally getting some confidence in what she is doing. I would say she is behind academicall in all areas. She isn't behind enough to be held back, but personally I would have her do tutoring or something structured this summer to attempt to keep/get her to where she needs to be. However, I don't think SO or BM will go for that. They both think I am calling SD stupid when I think she needs extra help.

SD and SS have not had a lot of stability with BM. I dont think BM knows the meaning of the word. So, personally I will do whatever I can to keep them from being moved anymore. Its just not good for them and there are huge differences in the school districts.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:08 PM on Apr. 30, 2010