How many diapers do I need?

If I want to use cloth diapers how many would I need to have without having to wash everyday?

motherwanting6

Asked by motherwanting6 at 3:56 PM on Apr. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well, on average a newborn goes through 13 diapers in a 24 hour period (although I'm not sure if that's true with cloth). So I'd say double or triple that?
    Anonymous

• I didn't clothe diaper but have research it a lot because I want to with baby #3 (who hopefully will be conceived sometime in the near future) everything I have read says atleast 18 if you are using the all in one type diapers. You should also check out gdiapers.com. There products look really interesting.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 4:02 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• Join cloth diapering mamas group here.

With 3 dozen prefolds I wash/ed every other day to twice weekly
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 4:22 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• How often do you plan to wash?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:50 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• I wash every other day. I started out with 3 dozen diapers (30 prefolds and 6 fitteds) when she was a newborn and that was a plenty. Not too many, not too few. Now I have about 30 diapers. (17 prefolds, 10 one size pockets, and 2 fitteds) and again that number is a good amount. I wouldn't recommend going much longer between washes though or you'll be doing more than one load. Also, depending on where you live (high humidity) your diapers can mildew. Our diapers actually do get mildew stains on them but since the bulk of our diapers are cheap prefolds, I don't care that much. We live in the southeast where the humidity is ridiculous during the summer.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 5:13 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• I'd say to be safe and have at least 3-4 dozen diapers - just in case something happens. and maybe 4-5 covers - which can be used multiple times before you have to wash.

I cloth diapered all my kids from birth to potty.

I washed every other day - started out with about 2 dozen flats (the kind you fold), and 1 dozen fitteds (look like disposables velcro fasteners).

after 8 years of cloth diapers I have accumulated about 500 and 30 covers...lol
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 5:59 PM on Apr. 30, 2010