Would antidepressants help my cruddy evil attitude?

I'm a normally extremely happy person. I love getting up, taking care of my kids and house, I have friends and a good husband. But I get really bit%^y for hardly any reason and I have a short temper. It's usually toward my husband and it's starting to be a problem. He really doesn't do anything to warrant my mood swing but I can't control them. He says I'm bit@*y and he's right. So you think meds would do it or maybe just a vacation!

Orionsgirl

Asked by Orionsgirl at 4:05 PM on Apr. 30, 2010 in Health

• I was getting irritable more than I should, just like you described. I wanted to sleep all the time and didn't feel like doing anything. I am usually very happy and knew I had every reason to be happy. That just wasn't me. I started on Celexa last fall (an SSRI). It has made a big difference for me. I also do better when I get enough sleep. Don't listen to people who will criticize you for taking medication. It could help your marriage and improve quality of life for your family.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 10:48 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• I would say a vacation. A vacation by yourself to just get refreshed. Get a away from everything and relax. In college my best friend and I were roommates. Near the end of each semester we were so testy and just horrible with each other. The littlest thing and we would go off on the other. We just needed a break from life and each other. Once we went on break and the new semester began we were good to go.
    Anonymous

• Honestly maybe a little conciling for you might be a good idea. But ya there are meds out there that will help. Effexor helped me when I was going through something like this. I would rip my husbands head off at the drop of a hat, and I was unreasonably short tempered with my kids. Hope you find something that works for you. Oh ya..vacation..ya that would be nice..but everybody will still be there and just as annoying when you get back..LOL
    tweetersmomma

Answer by tweetersmomma at 4:11 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• No. Antidepressants can actually have the opposite affect on you. Sounds like you may need some alone time. Try to set aside time for yourself. I felt similar to what you are feeling, the Dr. put me on an antidepressant and Xanax, I was on them for twelve years. I think if I would have pursued a more natural approach, I would have been better off. Now I see a hynotherapist and try to get time for myself frquently. I have also changed my diet. Cut out sodas and sugar. I feel 100% better!
    Anonymous

• Have to love our pill popping society. You choose not to practice self control and allow yourself to go from normal to bitch and ask if taking a pill will fix it.

Get some counseling and work on yourself. That is the only way to solve your problem.
    Anonymous

• Yes. I go from normal to bitch in zero seconds. That's why I'm asking a question. I think it's time for you to go take your own happy pill ANON:16
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 4:20 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• I wasn't being rude. I'm being serious. Get some counseling.

I don't blame you I blame our society. I blame our TV adds that tell you that there is a pill to fix everything...sleep problems, mood swings, depression, weight control issues, etc. Heck, there's even a pill to fix this pesky problem we call a period.

No, a pill will not fix a personality deffect. You will have to improve as a person on your own.
    Anonymous

• I take anti depressants.I went without for years thinking i didnt need them.They are not the magic cure because you have to take MANY to find the ones that work right for you.talking to people didnt work for me.Its not easy to open up to stranger for some.I do POP a pill.Its been working great for ME.
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 6:37 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• Therapy.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:18 AM on May. 1, 2010