My first therapy session is tomorrow.

The last time i was in therapy i was maybe about 10 years old and the lady wasn't even smart enough to realize that at 10 years old i would already know what "socially correct" responses are. Needless to say i seemed just fine and she told my mom that i didn't need any more lessons with her.

Well, now i'm an adult and i need therapy. I'm nervous. What's it like? What will happen in my first session? Will i lay down on one of those chairs they show in the movies? i'm just not sure what to expect.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:41 PM on Apr. 30, 2010 in Health

• I was the same way. I lied before to therapists. But I finally found one that I liked and I don't lie to her. At my first appointment just went over family history and why I was there. And I sat in a chair because I didn't feel comfy laying down.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:49 AM on May. 1, 2010

• No, you probably won't lie down. :) Unless you want to!

The therapist (he/she?) will ask you a bunch of questions, ask you why you came there, ask for your insurance info, just like a normal doctor. If you have a reason to cry, it's okay, There will be tissues. The therapist will tell you how it works. And you will be done and out of there, hopefully with another appt card in your hand.
    easy-peasy!
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 5:07 PM on Apr. 30, 2010