My first therapy session is tomorrow.

The last time i was in therapy i was maybe about 10 years old and the lady wasn't even smart enough to realize that at 10 years old i would already know what "socially correct" responses are. Needless to say i seemed just fine and she told my mom that i didn't need any more lessons with her.

Well, now i'm an adult and i need therapy. I'm nervous. What's it like? What will happen in my first session? Will i lay down on one of those chairs they show in the movies? i'm just not sure what to expect.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:42 PM on Apr. 30, 2010 in Just for Fun

• It will be an intake. They will ask history questions, not right into the therapy stuff. The first appointment is the hardest one. I had mine last week. I hated it. "have you ever tried to kill yourself?" "How many times?" "By what method?" things like that. Be prepared.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 7:18 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• You'll probably sit on a couch in a comfy office. The therapist might ask you why you're seeking therapy. You don't have to come up with a complicated reply, you can just say simply, "I'm experiencing anxiety" or "I want to improve the relationships in my life" or whatever your reason is. Then the therapist will ask you lots of questions to get more information. That's what their trained to do. You don't have to be prepared like for a test. Just take yourself. You don't have to have an immediate answer. Some questions are asked to encourage you to think about things you might not have thought of before. Relax! All the best!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 4:46 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• It'll be stuff like your background and why you are there. I too was able to fool the therapists. I'm going to start going again too.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 4:46 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• mainly what will happen is she will just talk with you and try to figure your reasons for being there. the more honest and cooperative you are with your feelings, the more you will get from your sessions.
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 4:48 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• They put you in chains and taunt you with Hershey's Kisses just inches away from your mouth untill you break.
    GMMOLLY

Answer by GMMOLLY at 9:22 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• Good for you! Don't overthink your answers.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:16 AM on May. 1, 2010