Incentives to use the potty?

I don't like the giving candy idea. I was thinking of a sticker chart but I don't know if that would work or not. My son is two and a half and we've started to sit him on the potty. He's gone twice but he sits on it throughout the day. Has this been effective for anyone?

SaraP1989

Asked by SaraP1989 at 4:50 PM on Apr. 30, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I always awarded my kid with chocolate milk. Ive seen a couple of shows on tv where the parents used the charts and it worked well for them. GL
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 4:57 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• Sticker chart worked well with my son. Also, it's good to work towards an activity like going for a walk. to the park, painting a picture. My kids liked be able to choose because they felt independent even though I would give them the choices to choose from. :)
    summerleigh

Answer by summerleigh at 5:02 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• I did a potty dance. It's funny and kids like it. If you give "rewards" then they will learn that they need external motivation. I always tried to foster internal motivation. Do the right thing because it's the right thing, not because you will be rewarded. My kids are now adults and it worked.

You can foster certain values in you kids like internal motivation but you can't do too many, according to psychologists. My kids aren't perfect. They aren't motivated to make a lot of money. Money isn't that important to me. That may have been a mistake.

I do the potty dance when I potty train dogs and it works for them too!

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:06 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• I used a sticker chart with my oldest and it worked very well. I started out with her only having to get 5 stickers and she got a little cheap toy. Then it was 10 to get another cheap toy and eventually went up to 60. After a while I changed it to giving her a sticker just for when she had a dry night. There was a little bit of a set back later on so I let her choose what the prize at the end of the chart would be. She wanted a cake with blue frosting. I thought it was an odd choice, but that's what she wanted and she wanted it really bad, so that's what we did and she tried really hard to get that cake. Give the sticker chart a try, maybe it will work for your son.
    Anonymous

• Oh, I wanted to add that the "big boy" or "big girl" underwear was usually a good motivator too because at that age they don't want to be babies they want to be 'big', lol. They would pick their undies with Elmo or Blues Clues or whatever and then I'd say "Ok Elmo doesn't want you to pee on him." Good luck!
    summerleigh

Answer by summerleigh at 5:09 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• What's the potty dance? It sounds like a reward too.
    Anonymous

• Well, he just pooped in the potty and got a sticker.I think it may have been an accident because he was naked and on there but he was happy about the sticker and I'm proud of him. How would I make this chart? Just like a calender and put stickers on it?
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 5:16 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• There a lot of different ways to do a chart. I used the train one at this website: http://www.childavenue.com/pages/family_corner_pages/printables.html  It worked for us because I gave a sticker for each successful potty visit rather than one sticker a day.

Anonymous

• Great! Thanks Anon.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 5:31 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• Personally I never got the reward thing. Why do you need a reward to so something that you are supposed to do??
    Anonymous