Omg... What i overheard on the hospital today...

Sooo... I was sent for an NST and ultrasound today and when i was waiting a young women came into labor & delivery almost screaming in pain saying her water broke.. At first i thought whoohoo good for her! But then the doctor asked when it happend and she replied with " at noon today, i did it with a crochet hook." !!!!!! My jaw droped! Are you f&%*ing kidding me!!

The doctors freaked out too and rushed her in for an emergency c-section because of extream high risk of infection. They said she could have actually hurt the baby by doing that. I just couldnt belive what i was hearing. How stupid can you be?! I get that the last few weeks really suck but come on... A crochet hook!! Good god what is wrong with people!

Keaton_Hazel

Asked by Keaton_Hazel at 5:21 PM on Apr. 30, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Well, the doctors don't really use much different... I agree it was stupid, but if she was in labor already they should have just let her go, not cut her open.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 5:23 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• That is crazy. Wow talk about desperate measures. 

akmami0f4

Answer by akmami0f4 at 5:24 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• wow! my sister is an ER nurse. i hear so many crazy stories like this. how do you stop yourself from chocking the life out of these crazy people?
    bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 5:25 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• wow some people are retarded
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 5:25 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• That was totally stupid of her, for sure, but there was no need to section her. Her risk of infection wasn't "extremely high". Higher than normal, but if she was screaming in pain then she was in labor and close to delivery. No reason to surgically remove her baby for it.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 5:28 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• i dont know why they went with a c-section... My jaw is still on the floor though. She couldnt have been any older the 17 or 18. Im wondering how she even knew what she was doing? How do you its the water bag and not something else? Maybe she did more damage to something else up there is why the did an emergency section... I dont know. My nurse was said in 15 yrs of doing labor & delivery that this was the first time she had ever seen this.
    Keaton_Hazel

Answer by Keaton_Hazel at 5:36 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• hopefully that c-section pain will remind her to let things go natural next time
    Anonymous

• wow.

there's where prenatal education is CRITICAL. I hope that baby is ok, and the mom gets some help before taking it home.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 5:48 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• That's one of those women who probably shouldn't be having a kid in the first place! I wonder sometimes if doctor's use c-sections as a bit of a punishment, though. I don't want to be all conspiracy theorist, but I'm a nurse and I know how disgusted medical personnel can get with patients. I can just see the attitude coming out, "Well, you didn't do it the RIGHT way, so we're going to have to...."
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 6:22 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• Don't we have about 8 women a day asking how to do this at home on cafemom?
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 7:23 PM on Apr. 30, 2010