Have you ever heard of a baby being born with his intestines out?

My friend is 21 and she is having a baby in august, after athe doctor did an ultrasound last month they told her that her baby was going to need surgery because when his stomach was developing his intestines stayed out and his stomach closed, so they are going to do surgery after he is born so they can put it back in his lil stomach and then after 12mos they'll do another surgery to place'em in the right position. She said the doctor told her this was more common that what she thought, and it's happening all over the world between 15 to 22 year olds.Has anybody heard of this at all?

Asked by VERONICACP at 11:13 AM on Jun. 27, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have heard of it have the ultasound and know what is going on is they are prepared for the problem. Hope all goes well

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 11:17 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• yep and I've even have known such a child... over all he was healthy, but did have some minor health issues as a result. I don't really remember what the exact issues were, he was 2 when I met him at a daycare I worked 8 years ago.

The only thing I really remember these days was that he DID NOT have an bully button, besides the fact that he was born with his intestines outside his body.

Answer by SAHMinIL at 11:23 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• There was something on the news about a baby born that way not too long ago. They basically just said they did the surgery and he was doing fine.

Answer by rasbneon at 11:32 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• yes, It is called Gastroskesis (sp?). There are different ways to put them back in. Sometimes they put the intestines in a plastic bag and have it lifted up in the air for a few days (protected of course). The intestines slowly go in that way and fit better. Other times, they just do surgery immediately and put them back in.

Answer by busybee914 at 1:03 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• I have heard of it yes. Didn't know it was more common in 15-22 year olds if that's what you are saying.

Answer by manna1qd at 3:33 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• Yes, I have seen it many times on birth shows on Discovery Health Channel.

Answer by schmoo_mommy at 4:48 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• no never heard of it, thats scary.. sorry not much help. lol

Answer by ChasesMommy0115 at 3:23 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• yes, watch the discovery health, channel that's all i used to watch when i was pregnant and i saw several babies on there in the same situation.

Answer by mimig17 at 3:28 PM on Jun. 29, 2008