What can I do about recurrent yeast infections?

I am getting really frustrated because I keep getting yeast infections. My MD prescribes diflucan and I have taken probiotics and I wear cotton underwear. I don't know what else to do. Does anyone else have this problem and did anything help? Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:26 PM on Apr. 30, 2010 in Health

• you can try eating yogurt it helped when my youngest had thrush and we didn't have insurance and i give it to my older daughter when she has yeast infections and she usually showsmarked improvment after a couple of days of eating it
    jen699

Answer by jen699 at 5:38 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• Here are some tips. This stuff can really stick around so make sure you take all precautions, it may just be that you aren't completely killing it, that it is just flaring back up again.

Do not use heavy/perufmy soaps.
    Do not wear tight underwear. Wear cotton underwear.
    Refrain from eating any yeast products (bread, pizza, etc) I switch to tortillas for awhile when this happens.
    Make sure hubby does not have jock itch or athelete's foot, these are all related and will spread from one area/person to another.
    Don't have sex until you are sure it is gone. (Doing so will just keep it going around between you both)
    Eat yogurt at once or twice every day. (Make sure it has live active cultures)
    If you reuse your bath towels, stop doing that until it's cleared up
    Sleep with no underwear so that you can "breathe" down there.
    Wash several times a day. Use some cream for relief. Use some medicine to clear it up also.
    Anonymous

• The PP's replies are all great. Here's what my doctor told me. The bacteria that causes yeast infections lives on your skin natually, especially on your hubby's penis. He told me to go to the bathroom immediately after sex and wipe really well, even use a baby wipe if you need to. I haven't had a yeast infection in like 2 years. Sometimes it's a simple fix. :)
    charliebean

Answer by charliebean at 6:08 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• I was told to eat yogurt. I also take probiotics every morning. Maybe you should check out www.webmd.com for other solutions or google it. Good luck; it's absolutely NO fun to have them--ugh.
    Ladyhawk04

Answer by Ladyhawk04 at 6:18 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• When I get them, and it's been a long time I go on a special diet which not only cuts out yeasty-type foods, but also sugars. Mainly fresh vegies, salads, whole grains...but no bread, for a few days. If you're really getting them a lot, I'd check to see if you're having a full body candida problem. This might help: http://www.candidasymptoms.net/
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 4:27 AM on May. 1, 2010

• Try an anti-Candida diet

Answer by rkoloms at 8:14 AM on May. 1, 2010

• It's been awhile since I last had one. After my last one I started eating yogurt with live cultures 1-3 times a day, take 2 garlic pills a day (garlic is a natural antibiotic) and take a probiotic daily. I haven't had one since I began doing all of that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:25 AM on May. 1, 2010