If you hubby is watching movies with cursing, do you make the kids go away or do you make the movie go away until after their bedtime?

i fuss with DH everyday that i dont want him to play his movies with cursing in them (which is most of them seeing how we DONT have any cable tv) while the kids are awake and running around the living room. but he still comes in and does the same thing everyday. what do i do? all he says is that his grandmother (who raised him) never censored anything around them and he doesnt feel the need to either. then i point out the fact that he as been cursing since middle school and it still doesnt make a difference!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:27 PM on Apr. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• Nope. We dont believe in censoring things like that either. Its out there, its a part of the big, bad world they are growing up in and if they are gonna hear them we might as well be the ones to teach them what they mean and how they should be used(if at all).

Plus, the more you freak about those things the more they want to do them.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 6:00 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• Well, I'm not a no cursing type of person, but if my husband is watching something with gratuitous violence, it gets turned off until after the kids are in bed. Cursing I can handle, sex is okay with me, but I WILL NOT permit my kids to see people getting their brains blown out. We watch family and kid movies while my daughter is awake, and only after she is in bed is he allowed to play violent video games or watch violent movies (I don't like them either, so usually I'm also in bed before they're allowed lol).
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 5:31 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• i have no tv for this very reason.
    Anonymous

• kids come first. it really should be that simple. we don't watch or listen to anything with adult content until our kids are sleeping. i agree with you. hubby is being selfish. why can't he just wait till the kids are in bed?

bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 5:34 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• maybie he can watch what he wants in the bedroom
    Anonymous

• most kids wont pay any attention to it unless you are the one bringing attention to it. My son will just sit and play with his toys in his own little world...unless its an action movie..he loves them.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 5:44 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• I make the movie go away. My husband's problem is watching stuff with violence. We have toddlers. They aren't going to stay alone in their rooms for an entire full length movie. So I just tell hubby "this isn't good for the kids" and he turns it off.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 5:59 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• Re: Shay, just because they aren't "paying attention" doesn't mean it doesn't get in there! Come on, moms, how many times have you heard your kids repeat something you didn't think they were paying attention to!

I don't have a TV either, and fortunately, DH isn't a big movie watcher and he would NEVER turn on a vulgar or violent movie around our son.... but, i'm with the other moms who say kids come first. It would be responsible for your husband to put the movies away until the kids go to bed. Then again, is HE cussing around them? They'll pick it up from him!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 6:16 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• We don't watch anything with cursing while they are around at all. If we were watching something and they, for instance, came home from school, we turn it off.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 6:17 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• yes i agree with you adel..but i also agree with amaranth361
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 6:23 PM on Apr. 30, 2010