What is the base rate for foster care in California ?

Hi ,
I am considering doing foster care and I was wondering what the base rate for California is, I am in Ventura County. I am just looking for the base range as I know that it ranges on the degree of problems a child may have.

JunoDolly

Asked by JunoDolly at 6:29 PM on Apr. 30, 2010 in Adoption

• http://hss.co.san-bernardino.ca.us/dcs/foster_care/faq.htm

This link shows a reimbursement range, but you can call your local child protective agency to get a break down per age of the child, and ask about when they do classes, what eligibility requirements that you must meet, etc.  Good luck to you and sorry for the anon comments.

If you would like to see a glimpse into the many issues that foster parents deal with on a daily basis, not only in child-rearing, but dealing with caseworkers, licensing, family members who don't know why on earth you'd do this, etc. please check out the Foster/Adoptive Parenting group and the Foster Care/Foster Parenting group. Both groups are headed by foster/adoptive parents who have been taking care of children for a long, long while & contain a wealth of information. Good luck!

doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 8:40 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• seriously, if you are "considering foster care" you need to be doing it for the love of the child not the money you can get. What difference does the base rate make? Do you want to provide a loving home for a child or not? There isn't a base rate for a birth child, why does it matter what the base rate is for a foster child?
    Anonymous

• You people are sure quick to judge ... I find your remarks very off puting . People come onthese forums for advicse from fellow parents. I have two kids and feel that I have so much more to offer . I am hoping to foster and adopt as well . I am just trying to inform myself on these things as it is only a practical and smart question. I didnt say Iwont do it if it pess this or this. I am only being realistic.
    JunoDolly

Answer by JunoDolly at 6:46 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• I'm 1st anon - not judging, but as I said I don't at all see why it matters. I don't know the base rate, but if you are considering adding children to your family, there should never ever be a financial expectation, you should only do it if you would be prepared to provide wholeheartedly out of your own pocket. Once you put a dollar amount on a childs care it becomes a job. It was not intended as judgement, just I know two couples who are fostering and it is all about what money they can get. There is a sad trend towards that. It makes me sad for the kids. I absolutely admire the intention of fostering, but I hope that finances does not play any role in your choice.
    Good Luck
    Anonymous

• http://www.fosterparenting.com/foster-care/foster-care-rates.html

California is not listed, and I know for our state the rate is almost double what is listed in these outdated #'s. If we were to take in a medically fragile, then triple. Children also qualify for Medicaid and WIC. I do hear California is having budget cuts that are possibly effecting the monthly stipend. I recommend going to the intro meeting and asking questions. That does not mean you have to start the process right away. Call the Department of Family Services in your county and ask about information there, too.

We are fostering currently, so feel free to PM me. :)
    love2snorkel70

Answer by love2snorkel70 at 7:07 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• To Anon 1- I appreciate where you are coming from as I to have seen the ill affects of people who do it for the money. I was just curious. I would never take in a child on the basis of money and I can see how the question would read that way. .. I want to love them and give them a stable home not use them for income ... All that being said I have to be realistic about my expectations and finances as well . I am not SAHM , nor am I married , so I have to consider what would be best for ALLmy kids and myself while still trying to make a difference in a childs life. I think a foster parent who does factor in the " reimbursment rate " but still loves them like they are her own flesh and blood is better then leaving a child in an abusive situation.Some FP do it for the money but some have no choice but to factor in the money or else they would not be able to help a child in need at all .
    JunoDolly

Answer by JunoDolly at 7:14 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• It's not a dumb question. It costs money to raise kids. Most foster children come to your home with nothing.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 7:17 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• the first 2 posters were so quick to judge...iits not a matter of would she do it for free, the state PAYS, its just a fact. so for her to ask what that pay rate is says nothing about how much she would or would not love a child. it was a simply practical question. and also if her asking makes it practical and possible for her to do, then ask away.man I cant wait til cm takes the anon post option off, then we will see how who still wants to be rude and judgmental. to the OP, good luck. :)
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 7:21 PM on Apr. 30, 2010