Would you continue the friendship...

if you are a christian, who speaks openly and often about your God, to whomever you meet- Would you continue a friendship when you found out that someone you met and liked was an atheist?
If you had automatically assumed they were christian as well, and they never indicated otherwise, but then you found out they were an atheist, would you continue with the friendship?
I recently met another mom who often speaks of her faith in her life. (NOT A PROBLEM FOR ME!! I totally respect her) I really like her, and am a tiny bit nervous of her finding out that I am not in fact, a Chrsitian as herself. I wouldn't want her to think I am an "immoral, evil, satan worshipper" as so many people here have mistakenly believed.
As a christian, would you continue the friendship?

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 6:40 PM on Apr. 30, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yep. God teaches us to love everyone, not just other Christians.
    Anonymous

• yes. That still doesn't change you as a whole person. But that is just me I am very open and laid back person, some are not. It all depends on the person but for me, I wouldn't ditch you for it.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 6:46 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• Yea... why would I discontinue it? Unless you lied or hurt me, no reason to stop it.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 6:47 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• yes :) I would. I have many friends, some are Christian and some are not. My husband is infact an athiest, so obviously I am friends with him, but that is a different story lol.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 6:48 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• Absolutely. :)
    BethLopez

Answer by BethLopez at 6:48 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• that's hard, because according to your religion, you're supposed to close your door to anyone who denounces Christ, but at the same time, it's you mission to convert people... maybe have a second look at Christianity and all of it's double standards and contradictions. seriously, i'm not trying to insult you, and i'm not an atheist. i believe in God the Almighty, and Jesus the prophet. but have you actually read the bible, cover to cover? if you're looking for answers in that book, it's no wonder you're so confused!

Anonymous

• that's hard, because according to your religion, you're supposed to close your door to anyone who denounces Christ, but at the same time, it's you mission to convert people... "

I would really dislike it if she remained friends with me just to convert me instead of accepting me for who I am; just as I am doing with her.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 6:57 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• This very thing happened to me at work. I was great friends with this woman- we always took our breaks together and joked around on the job.  AND THEN the subject of God came up and when I told her I was an Atheist, she thought I was joking. When she realized I wasn't, she got really disgusted and never talked to me ever after that.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 7:00 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• Thats terrible IhartU....truly terrible. What a loss on her part!
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:15 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• I have had people drop me like a hot potatoe when they find out I am Catholic
    Anonymous