How to help a child with their handwriting?

First & Third graders :/

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:54 PM on Apr. 30, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Well, with my youngest brother (he's in first grade) we bought him a handwriting helper, it's the paper with lines. In it, there are pictures and then words, he reads them with your help, traces them, then writes them on their own. it helps them learn words and write them too. it helped him alot. :]
    Kriss.

Answer by Kriss. at 7:01 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• I think you can find printable pages like Kriss. mentioned as well, try a google search. They also have all sorts of electronic games that do that like for Leapster etc. and we are going to be getting this for my 3 year old for his birthday coming up: http://www.walmart.com/ip/LeapFrog-Toy-Scribble-Write/10998389

whittear

Answer by whittear at 7:20 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• My son is in Occupational therapy concentrating on handwriting. The therapy center he goes to also offers a strictly handwriting program called 'hand writing without tears' There is a whole series of workbooks and information online so you could potentially do it at home.

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:29 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• I've heard many people recommend handwriting without tears (http://www.hwtears.com/) I've never used it; but that was the first thing that came to mind.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 7:46 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• practicing..my son is in 1st grade and his writing has gotton so much neater! I was impressed! He writes alot tho:)
    Anonymous

• At first when my oldest was learning how to write I would hold my hand over his and trace the letters and let him practice on his own. Then I bought him a handwriting notebook and it really helped.
    candydimples

Answer by candydimples at 1:47 AM on May. 1, 2010

• For some kids, it comes naturally just by basically learning and practicing. For others, it is more of an issue. If you child seems to be having a more serious problem with handwriting, you could talk to the school and ask for advice. Does the child have other problems related to fine motor skills?
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 8:05 AM on May. 5, 2010