if you have room in your house to take in a family members children that can no longer care for them but you cannot afford them, do you? more...

if that person had the kids on medicaid and foodstamps do you still get that for those kids to help care for them? I just don't want to see them going into foster care. I have plenty of room in my home but at the moment we are on a tight budget.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:06 PM on Apr. 30, 2010 in Adoption

• tyou had to petition the state to become legal guardians of the kids to get those benefits. now if the parents let you have them, and the state doesnt know, you just get the benefits from mom and dad, but thats risky as if you are caught it has to be paid back and the benefits are stopped for 5 yrs. I live in IL btw, and its different state to state.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 7:09 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• wanted to ad that in IL when kids are removed from the home they search out family first to see if they can take them, before they go into the system. I have been thru this with my brothers 2 sons, unfortunantly.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 7:10 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• you should be able to get kinship care. which is the payment they would be paying to a foster home but they give it to a relative who takes the children instead.
    Anonymous

• If they go into foster care, you can step in right away and request them. You will have to take classes and pass background. If you are selected to care for the children, you will get a monthly stipend along with Medicare and WIC.

If you want to help family, there is always a way. Do you have other family members willing to step up and help?
    love2snorkel70

Answer by love2snorkel70 at 7:14 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• anon I have never heard of that! what state are you from? would like to learn if its in IL too.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 7:15 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• my mother has them now but its hard on her because she still works full time.
    Anonymous

• TX does not pay for kinship care. If the state gave you legal guardianship then you can collect state benefits from them.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 7:56 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 8:33 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• How long does it take to get kinship care set up? Meanwhile, will their mom give you legal guardianship? I'm not sure how this all works, but I think it's always best for the kids to stay with family if at all possible. I would want to try to find a way.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 9:23 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• Quoting-Matthewscandi-TX does not pay for kinship care. If the state gave you legal guardianship then you can collect state benefits from them.

No, they sure do not. All states are different. Foster care is not universal, it varies state-to-state. OP, what state are you in & I can send you a link as to what your state does.

OP, yes, you can take the kids in, but then you'd need to apply for WIC, FS, Medicaid on your own. If it's a temporary thing, like less than 10 days, I believe you have 10 days to report the change. Maybe they would allow you to transfer. Kinship care is becoming very popular in Texas & they are certifying more relatives than foster parents in my area of Texas right now. There is a one time expense of $500 or $1500 (I forget which) that a relative can get for car seats, beds, clothes, etc. but no monthly benefit. It you later adopt, you possibly could get Medicaid, $$$, college. Need more info, ask.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 9:16 AM on May. 1, 2010