when should girls have there own room?

I have 2 girls there ages are 8 & 7 they sleep in a double bed, and I was wondering when they should have there own rooms or will they let me know it's time..

luvmygirls3

Asked by luvmygirls3 at 7:09 PM on Apr. 30, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My girls are 8 and 11. They have shared a room since the youngest was 6 months old, sharing a full-sized bed since the youngest was 2. They've both asked for their own rooms (no such luck) and we got them bunk beds 2 years ago. You know how often I find them in the same bed? LOL. They'll let you know when they want their own rooms - probably when they hit double digits. In the meantime, maybe offer them separate beds. If they're happy, though, no big deal.
    BethLopez

Answer by BethLopez at 7:21 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• i see nothing wrong with them always sharing a room they are so close in age i shared a room with both my sisters forever
    Anonymous

• Me and my sisters got our own rooms when we got our periods. It worked out for us.
    Kriss.

Answer by Kriss. at 7:42 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• My sisters who were 1 year a part ALWAYS shared a room growing up. My own kids are 10 months apart and IF they were both the same sex (one is boy; one is a girl) they would be sharing a room as long as they were living under my roof. Seeing one is a boy and one is girl they have their own rooms. Personally, I don't think there is anything wrong with kids sharing a room.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 7:49 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• My sister & I had to share a room. There was a 7yr age difference which caused alot of problems in its own- but it just instilled in me that I didnt want my kids to have to share. There arent alot of places in the house where you get FULL privacy. If the kids dont have their own room- where do you go to have 5mins to your self? The bathroom?

Im not against it- I think maybe just at like... 10 & 11. When they start to have friends come over & wanna "hang out" without having to share their space...
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 10:34 AM on May. 1, 2010

• I'm sure you will know when they "want" their own rooms. That doesn't mean they need or deserve their own room. I have 4 (soon to be 5) kids and we live in a 3 bedroom house. They will ALWAYS have to share rooms. Right now my 9yo dd and 4yo dd share one room and my 8yo son shares with his 7yo sister. Eventually he will have his own room...unless the new baby is a boy and then he'll have to share with the baby despite the almost 9 years between them.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:14 PM on May. 2, 2010

• I don't think there's a set age that they should. If it was me, I'd wait until they asked for their own rooms.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 1:59 AM on May. 5, 2010

• I don't think there is a set age, either. Most kids from previous generations shared rooms for their entire childhood through their teen years. I shared a room with my sister until I was 14 or so. But I would say I probably wanted my own room from the time I was about 10 or so. I do think kids need their own space and some privacy, so even if they can't have their own rooms, I think their own beds would be nice within the next couple of years at the most. They may still want to have "sleepovers" with each other but it is different if it is by choice. Everyone is different...I always liked my own space but my youngest sister who didnt have to share a room always wanted to share her space! She also dresses her two boys alike, while I remember my mom dressing me like my younger sister and I hated it so I wouldn't do it to my kids.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 7:56 AM on May. 5, 2010

• When I moved out of my parents' house at 18, I was still sharing a room with my sister who is 6 years younger than I am. It wasn't a big room either.

My children will always share, assuming that there is someone of the same gender to share with.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 10:04 AM on May. 5, 2010

• There's no reason that 2 girls cannot share a room for their entire childhood. If there was a big age difference I would try to give them their own rooms, if I had the room available, just so the little one wouldn't be getting into big sisters stuff, but since your girls are so close in age that doesn't matter.
    Anonymous