What should I be giving him?

My 2yo son has been showing signs of just a common cold the last couple days. Mild fever, cough, crankiness, and runny nose. The fever is controllable with Tylenol and the drainage from his nose is clear, so I'm not overly concerned right now. I've been trying not to give him too much medicine but I had to give him cough medicine the last two nights so he could sleep. I haven't given him any during the day because I want the mucus to break up. But today he's had two coughing fits where he's coughed so hard that he's thrown up. If it happens again, I think I'll give him something, but not sure what.. an expectorant to help break it up and get it moving; a suppressant to tame it, or an antihistamine to help dry out the drainage? Which do you think is best?

Megs5384

Asked by Megs5384 at 8:20 PM on Apr. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• not much you can give to a toddler, just some tylonal for pain/fever, cough meds. i could just be allergies, maybe allergy meds? other than that just lots of rest and push the fluids, gatorade or pedialyte. GL
    Anonymous

• If it was my child i would take them to the doctor just to make sure its nothing more than a cold. I dont think a cold would cause sever coughing like you explained.
    Anonymous

• even if it was more than just a cold, it could be a virus and other than giving tylonal the doctors will do nothing but tell you to push the fluids. if he starts complaining about it hurting when he eats, then it could be strep, or if the meds don't keep the fever down, he doesn't pee, cry or drink, or he throws up everything he eats and drinks in 24hrs, then you should take him in. GL
    Anonymous

• give him plenty of fluids for the cough and congestion. try a cool mist humidifier in his room during sleep. I am not aware of any cough medicines/ expectorant or suppressant that is recommended for this age.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 8:44 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• He's only 2? You shouldn't be giving him anything beyond childrens tylenol - and really he doesn't even truly need that. The cough is caused by the mucus running down the back of his throat and irritating it. Raise the head of his bed or put an extra pillow under his head/shoulders/chest, use vaporub on his feet with socks over, and a humidifier. Some childrens claritin or zyrtec wouldn't be a bad idea to help with the snot issue (they're both safe for a 2yo).
    Anonymous

• Thanks ladies. I try very hard not to give him anything beyond Tylenol, but after several hours of him tossing and turning, crying, coughing and choking on the mucus in his chest and throat, I had to help him. the cough medicine that I have give a dose for 2yrs so I know that I didn't give him too much and it helped a lot. I've pushed fluids, and he seems to being getting enough. And tonight his appetite was better. I'm not calling the dr yet for 2 reasons, 1) they are just going to tell me that it sounds like a cold, and to push fluids, raise the head of the bed and watch the fever, ect... and 2) he has no insurance right now (my fiance just lost his job) and we can't really afford it so unless he gets worse, I'm not jumping the gun. He's not my first baby and not my first baby with a cold! lol. I'm thinking I'll stick with the cough meds tonight and then benedryl tomorrow. Oh, and the humidifier.
    Megs5384

Answer by Megs5384 at 11:43 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• You found a cough med that gives a dosage for 2yrs? Would you mind sharing what it is? Other than what you are doing, my suggestion is SALINE which will help thin that junk out some, and possibly an allergy med. Even though it's not being causes by allergies the med can help dry it up some. Oh and vicks babyrub really helped my little one out a few months ago. Hope he's better soon.

There is currently ANOTHER recall on some of the namebrand meds.. Children's Tylenol, Childrens Motrin, and Childrens Benedryl.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on May. 1, 2010

• The cough med that I use is called Cough, Cold & Congestion CF. It's a store brand but it doesn't say the brand. I only buy that stuff at one of three places though, Walmart (which I'm pretty sure this is not because their store brand is Equate) Winco Foods (which is West Coast only) and Bi-Mart. It's distributed by SUPERVALU INC. Sorry I can't be more helpful!
    He's doing much better now. I've stopped giving the cough meds and switched to Tylenol only when needed and Benedryl at night. I'm thinking by tomorrow he shouldn't need anything. That's the hope anyway.
    And I heard about the recall. Most of the stuff that I buy is store brand and as far as I can tell, they aren't included in the recall.
    Megs5384

Answer by Megs5384 at 11:37 PM on May. 2, 2010