Do you find this counts as a "reasonable effort?" *breast feeding*

I just went back to work and am pumping. I had informed them several weeks ago that I would be pumping and need accomodations. This week the head of our HC is on vacation, so when I came back, no one realy knew were I could pump. The only private place with and outlet and sink is the handicap restroom. I figured that would do till the head of HC got there. I also asked if I could have extra time on my breaks (unpaid) if needed. I was told that I would need to have my OB fill out a medical exception form, and then they would see but that they didn't think they could get me extra time. Today on my break, somone was in the handicap restroom for 10 min, my break is only 15, when I asked if there was anywere eles I could pump, I was taken to a room that had windows were anyone could see in and told that I might want o use a blanket. By this time I had to get back to my desk or be late. I was engorged and I am also...

daughteroftruth

Asked by daughteroftruth at 8:24 PM on Apr. 30, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• trying to fight off a yeast infection in my breast. I was very frustrated and and in pain and just walked otu of the HC department in tears. When I got home I told dh and he looked up breastfeeding state laws wich state....

"Mont. Code Ann. § 39-2-215 et seq. specifies that employers must not discriminate against breastfeeding mothers and must encourage and accommodate breastfeeding. Requires employers to provide daily unpaid break time for a mother to express breast milk for her infant child. Employers are also required to make a reasonable effort to provide a private location, other than a toilet stall, in close proximity to the work place for this activity."

So does this sound like "reasonable efforts" to you. I will be speaking with the head of HC when he gets in on mon, but I want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row first.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 8:28 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• nope, not reasonable at all. def have a talk with him/her.
    Anonymous

• Not at all! The only place they have for you is the Handicap RR stall? And state code says "other than a toilet stall". They haven't made any effort at all, imo. Good for you for sticking to your guns on this! They are definitely in the wrong, and will have to do something for you. Your ducks are lined up and ready to march! Good luck!
    Anonymous

• depends on how many employees. a lot of places have exemptions for those w/under 50 FYI
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:21 AM on May. 1, 2010

• they employ over 500, yes i am asware of the exemptions
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 10:48 AM on May. 1, 2010

• wow if i were you..i would be pissed about them expecting me to use a restroom stall do you honestly know how nasty a bathroom is??? I would refuse to pump in there all those germs, bacteria..virus's etc lerking in there..they would either provide somewhere or i would be very rude!!
    Anonymous