How can I stop the thumb sucking?

My daughter is 4 and in preschool, yet she still sucks her thumb. It all started when I took the binky from her when she was about a year and a half. Now, I've tried painting her finger nail, putting hot sauce and telling her that her thumb will fall off if she continues - but with no luck. She does this to fall asleep and whenever she's nervous. Any help, please?

manifer_momma

Asked by manifer_momma at 9:11 PM on Apr. 30, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Try the bitter fingernail polish, not the hot spicy kind. It works a lot better. It is absolutely awful. I've also put a bandaide on their thumb. It reminds them to stop and they don't enjoy it anymore either.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 10:02 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• ________________________________________
    if you use the negative approach like pepper sauce, it only makes kids want to suck more. There are many ways to help stop thumb sucking but always remember to do it in a positive way and never shame a child. Thumb sucking can cause the teeth to be pushed forward and the palate of the mouth to raise, therefore changing the structure of the mouth and can even lead to speech problems...and possibly lead to braces. Talk to your dentist on the repercussions of thumb sucking. There are some simple things you can do to break the thumb sucking habit. There is a fun product that kids love called "Thumbuddy To Love" that you can google or get on Amazon. Remember to always use praise for the little accomplishments!
    andreav210

Answer by andreav210 at 7:14 PM on May. 1, 2010

• She won't graduate high school doing it.

Give her time. She'll outgrow it.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 2:14 AM on May. 3, 2010