Does any body know how to speed up the process of dilation at home?

I'm scheduled to be induced on May 4th. I have a ob-gyn appointment the day before to see if I'm dilating enough to be induced. I'm really worried that I'm not. I think I'm at least 1cm dilated, is there any particular amount you have to be dilated before they will induce or will my doctor make me keep waiting?

shandram19

Asked by shandram19 at 9:25 PM on Apr. 30, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Have sex alot and see what happens. My doctor induced me when i was only 1 1/2 cm.
    Anonymous

• walk and walk ........... i did castor oil too
    keithamy06

Answer by keithamy06 at 9:54 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• My hubby and I still have sex everynight, it's just starting to get uncomfortable now. I'm also not willing to try castor oil, seems too risky. I tried walking around my neighborhood for about an hour today, and I did some squats, but I'm not sure if it worked at all, and won't know until may 3rd..
    shandram19

Answer by shandram19 at 9:54 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• Castor Oil. About a tablespoon every two hours. It only works if your cervix has started to dialate and encourages contractions to dialate the cervix.
    lawmom27

Answer by lawmom27 at 10:32 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• The castor oil is NOT a good idea! It causes diarrhea and vomiting, wich causes dehydration, wich causes contractions. I dont know about you, but I dont want to be sick on top of being in labor! Doesnt sound like fun to me. Are you even overdue?? Why the hurry?
    Anonymous

• I tried castor oil. I weas sitting on the potty with the carbage can in my lap! NO contractions. Definately NOT worth it!

Its not soo much how dialated you are- it has to do if your cervix is thinning.If its not thinning do not let them induce. YOu WILL have a csection!
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 11:05 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• I did castor oil and it put me in labor. I only did 2 table spoons straight. I only went to the bathroom twice and it wasnt even that bad. Another mom told me about Evening Primrose oil, but I called to ask if its safe and my doctor said she wouldnt recomend it.
    MiSs.SmOkEy

Answer by MiSs.SmOkEy at 11:44 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• i don't get it? you want to dilate so you can be induced? if there is a medical problem, the doctor will try induction whether you are induced or not surely. :) good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:44 AM on May. 1, 2010

• k are you getting induce cuz your overdue or for what reason? if you are schedule to be induced you dont need to be dialated at all
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:17 PM on May. 1, 2010

• Actually, she *should* be (somewhat) dilated to have a better result.
    IF it were an emergency, she would not be sitting around waiting, no.

Sex, semen, prostaglandins, Evening Primrose Oil, walking, etc. are (possibly) helpful. But if you don't need to be induced you can avoid all this forcing stuff altogether, too.

What do you want to do?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:52 PM on May. 1, 2010