Too young to learn about technology?

My son is two and a half. My boyfriend and I will sometimes sit with our son in our laps and go to YouTube and ask him what he wants to see. Usually it's animals, music, or babies. We don't do it every day, or for more than 20 minutes at a time, and we don't plop him down unsupervised with the computer.

He has learned to use the computer fairly well from "helping" us do this. He knows the icon for Firefocx and can double click to open it. He knows how to fullscreen a video, pause it, replay it, or click on another video in the related videos list. If he is tired of watching, he will click the X to close the window.

Personally, I think it's better than watching TV, since being comfortable with computers is a must in today's world, and it's helping his hand-eye coordination.

What do you think? Anyone else's kid enjoy doing this? How old is your child, and how computer-savvy is he/she?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:30 PM on Apr. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• I am so glad you and your hubby have justified this cause what your doing is the same as watching TV. I have a 2 yrs old also and she doesn't touch the computer EVER. I will put music on and she will dance to it and it's toddler tunes but she isn't clicking here and there. This is just my opinion so take it for whatever it's worth. Oh ya i hope your child doesn't put a virus in your computer.

Anonymous

• OP here...how is he going to put a virus on the computer if we are with him the whole time and not letting him click on random ads and crap? He is not randomly clicking "here and there" as you say...he is clicking the correct buttons that he has seen us click and knows what will happen when he clicks each one. He will say, "Again!" and hit the spacebar to replay. He also knows not to touch the computer unless he is with us. Also we open notepad for him and ask him to type letters. That is my point...we are showing him how to correctly use the computer, not letting him bang mindlessly on the keyboard.
    Anonymous

• So what the hell is your point. I would be far from pound of my child hooked on the computer there is no difference between watching senseless shit on the computer of senseless shit on TV. Teach and do what you want with your child that's why it's your child I just know my child will not be playing around on TV.

Anonymous

• Did you even read my post? He's not "hooked" on the computer...we do this a few times a week for 20 minutes, not all day or even every day. I think it's neat to let him see what he's interested in that day, such as snakes, penguins, cats, trucks, Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, etc. It's not "senseless shit" any more than looking at a picture book of these things would be. We can't afford to buy a book or video on every single subject he is interested in, but we can take five minutes to look it up and let him see pictures or videos online. I'm not "pound" of my child for anything, either. Lol.
    Anonymous

• I personally think its extremely important for children to learn to use a computer. Its an important piece of equipment that they will most likely use everyday of their lives. My 4 year old can use skype. He loves to click on the icon and video call his Aunt or Grandpa.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 10:00 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• I also believe anon is severaly overreacting.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 10:02 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• Laci, I didn't even think of that. How cool that your child gets to use the computer to see loved ones who live far away!
    Anonymous

• Its great. We use it everynight. I only get to see my sister once every few months, so on days she's not in school we will set up the computers in our house and leave them on for a couple of hours at a time and chat while were doing house work or cooking. Its a lot of fun.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 10:07 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• My 3 year old can bring the Internet up and get to a variety of her personal websites, which I have set in the favorites menu. She maneuvers through her educational games all on her own. She also knows how to exit out of a webpage, and skip pop up ads, etc. I WANT her to know how to use a computer. It is IMPORTANT in this day and age. We live in a world of technology.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 10:41 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• At that age, parent interaction with thier children is very important. It is important to learn about technology but your child will benefit from being read to, playing an interactive game, or just talking to your child. Children reposnd to our voices and our touch. Not so much what is on a computer screen. Before technology there were children who were still very intelligent. Parents would read may books to thier children and expose them to various actvities to stimulate learning.I think as parents we need to get back to basics and not rely so much on technology. Sometimes what makes our lives easier isn't always better. We have calculator but we need to do math by hand in order to grasp the concept.
    lawmom27

Answer by lawmom27 at 10:48 PM on Apr. 30, 2010