Question about WIC checks

Sunday is grocery day and is the first time I will be using WIC checks. I'm really upset about having to be on WIC and I'm terrified that I'm going to embarrass myself and get the wrong things. My husband is going with me just in case I start to have a breakdown at the register (I seriously halfway expect it to happen, I'm on the verge of tears just thinking about it). So please don't be mean to me. I understand that PA is a sensitive issue, please believe me that if I could, I would avoid using it.

One of the checks is written kind of funny it says "18 oz peanut butter OR 1 lb dried beans, 1 gal whole milk, 1 lb cheese, 1 doz fresh eggs".

Does that mean that I can get the peanut butter OR the beans OR the milk OR the cheese OR the eggs, or does that mean I can get the peanut butter OR the beans AND the milk AND the cheese AND the eggs?

I don't understand what it's trying to say here.

Ati_13

Asked by Ati_13 at 9:35 PM on Apr. 30, 2010 in Money & Work

• Don't assume WIC = a certain type of person. I am a foster parent and we get WIC.

I am very detail oriented and always look for a little WIC sign on the shelf. It really gets tricky with cereal and jar food, otherwise I find shopping for eggs, milk and cheese easy. Don't be afraid to ask for help. In my grocery, we can only use certain registers. Before I even shop, I ask if the WIC system is working. No use in wasting time! Also, you will be amazed at how many people, even checkers, will say they have been there at one point.

Best of luck and hold your head high. You took the extra steps to care for your family in time of need. There is absolutely no shame in being a parent who looks out for their children.
    love2snorkel70

Answer by love2snorkel70 at 9:59 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• The or is only between the two items it is between. Meaning you can get peanutbutter or dry beans. you also get the milk, eggs and cheese.
    Don't worry about being on WIC. Sometimes people need help, you do, so don't worry about it.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:38 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• you get all the stuff in the list but u have to choose between peanut butter or dried beans
    khmymommi

Answer by khmymommi at 9:38 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• No, you pick the p butter or the beans, then you also get everything else it lists. Why so upset about being on WIC? If you qualify for it, it's there to help you supplement your groceries. Don't worry about anyone else's opinion!
    BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 9:40 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• Get the peanut butter or the beans then get milk and cheese and eggs.
    Anonymous

• Thanks guys. :)

BlessedMommy, I don't know why it upsets me so much. I don't look down on others who use it, I think it's a great program and helps a lot of deserving people. I just feel like I'm failing at something that I need the help :( I don't think of OTHER people that way, but for some reason I just can't shake the feeling that I'm being a deadbeat or doing something wrong.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 9:43 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• what they said. WIC is VERY PICKY you have to get the exact brands ans sizes. if it says medium eggs do not try to get large- the registers will not allow it and if you try to have the managers override stuff that the store is out of or whatever-they cannot do it-the store will not get reimbursed for things that are not exactly what wic wants you to buy. Just make sure you read the check and get the right sizes of things
    also- if there is a sale like buy one get one free on a wic approved item-you cannot do it with a wic check (unless they ahve changed it)
    as long as you pay attention and don't try to get bigger boxes of ceral or whatever it should be no big deal
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:44 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• charolotsometimes, in the ID book they gave me they had tips on making your WIC checks go farther and it specifically said to take advantage of 2 for 1 specials. I wondered about that, though. I will have to ask about that.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 9:46 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• As PPs said, it's just a choice between peanut butter or beans, you get the rest of it regardless.

Something else to keep in mind is that in order to get all of the items on that check, you have to get them all at the same time. You don't have to get everything, like if there's something you don't need, but in order to get that pound of cheese you have to get it with the peanut butter/beans, milk, and eggs; you can't get the milk and eggs now and go back later for peanut butter and cheese if they're on the same check.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:49 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• DragonRider, thanks :) They did mention that at the appointment I had.

Do you guys have any good tips on how to not hold up the line forever while we're taking care of this? I have never seen anyone use WIC here.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 9:51 PM on Apr. 30, 2010