If you are laid off, can you ask for the job back or do you just have to continue to wait and wait?

My husband was laid off in January. Winter is always slow in his industry (construction) but he was in a union, so we thought we were safe. I guess not. He was laid off and has been since then. He's now working a different job making half as much pay and he really, really hates it. I keep telling him to call and ask how work is picking back up and if he could start back up again since it is spring and I know business is getting better. I mean, if he was only working half a week he would make as much as he is now and be back in his desired field and be happy, so why not call and inquire? He keeps saying that it's a union and you just have to wait for the to call you back to work, yadayadayada. I don't see how a simple phone call could hurt, even if they did say work was still too slow, so, at least they know he is itching to come back to work, right? What would you think was best if it was your husband?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:14 PM on Apr. 30, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Of course!

He should be in regular contact (at least once a month) with everyone in his network.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:58 AM on May. 1, 2010

• My brother has been laid off from the railroad for MONTHS. How it works there is you place bids for open positions. That is what he's been doing every month. He FINALLY went back to work last week.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 10:35 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• I guess it wouldn't hurt to call and check up on it since it's been a few months. I work with different unions through the apprenticeship program at work and they have laid of TONS of people here, but most of them know how many and when they will be calling some back. I would say as long as he doesn't call all the time he should be able to get some info and if not no harm done.
    Anonymous