How hard is it to come into the U.S. legally?

This is an honest question, and I don't want this to turn into a bash-fest. I saw in a recent post that someone said it is really hard to come into the U.S. legally. Are there different regulations for different countries? I have a friend who came here from Singapore (legally), and two friends who came from China (legally). Some of the legal immigrants resent the fact that people come illegally, because there is a real anti-immigrant sentiment from some and it seems to also be directed at legal immigrants.

Iamgr8teful

Asked by Iamgr8teful at 10:32 PM on Apr. 30, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• First of all, you have to be able to legally emigrate from your own country. Our friend has been trying to get out of So America, just to visit the USA for 30days. You are told to come back every Monday with $134 each time, just to be told "we're sorry, come again next week." Once they give you the "maybe" you need to have X amts of USA dollars (different for each person), a letter of intent and responsibility from a US citizen and an address and phone # of where you will be staying and with whom. His country claims this is all driven by the US. This process is just to VISIT for 30 days. To legally immigrate, a whole other ball game. It's my understanding it's a #s game for each country. Our friend says that there are hundreds of people in line each week for a handful of slots to VISIT. $134 each and every week to be told," NO".

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:50 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• it's pretty dang hard... but, the more people come over illegally, the harder it is for people to get over here legally. it really does suck for the people that are trying to do things the right way, while others come over without any regard for the chances they are hurting for others.
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 10:36 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• the cost is very very high.. i work with mexicans that tell me their kids are in mexico bc they dont have the money to get them. but 100.00 here is a lot more there so they send money down there..
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 10:37 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• "Some of the legal immigrants resent the fact that people come illegally"

I've definitely seen that from my legal immigrant friends.
    Anonymous

• Good question. I was wondering if anyone would share their stories. My husband is Canadian and carries a green card. He has a SSN for work purposes only. He has been in the states since he was 7, so asking him about the process is pointless. He is a "man" with limited memory. LOL :)
    love2snorkel70

Answer by love2snorkel70 at 10:42 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• i know an illegal mexcan that told me she hates the fact ppl come here illegal and hates they send all americas money to mexico... yes i said illegal lol... she came here at 6yrs old so she kinda had no choice.. she is trying to make things right!
    Anonymous

• that is the thing...i am having a hard time understand. i do know many illegals. and had they been able to AFFORD to come here legally i know with all my heart they would have. but they had no means to pay for it until they came and were working. but there is nothing to help them fix it when they get here. even if they could apply for a like a work visa and make payments towards when they get here. but that currently is not an option. i know most will say but they wont pay. well if they are givin a chance to and they dont then send em back. it could be another option to consider. would most likly cut down dramatically on undocumented unscreened immigrants.
    Anonymous

• yes anon 47 what about those who were brought here illegally when they were children and grew up here ..should those be deported. they did nothing wrong. something to think about....
    Anonymous

• if a parent commits a crime is it ok to punish their child. let me put it this way if a parent commits a murder is the child going to go to jail too? no. there are so many gray areas with this immigration bill that it should have some sort of exceptions.
    Anonymous

• Anon 10:50 I agree. That is what i have been trying to say. It is so hard and it got into this whole other thing. I do not agree that we should be able to tell people to stay out of our country unless they give us money first. That really is the point. Sorry that's how I feel!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 10:53 PM on Apr. 30, 2010