Need Help! My 6 month old dd isnt sleeping good at night. i give her a bath around 9pm and then give her a bottle with cereal in it then she goes to bed and gets up at 1:30 then wont go to bed until after three! we have all the lights and tvs off too and no noisey sounds! Please Help me if you can!

brandidonaldson

Asked by brandidonaldson at 10:44 PM on Apr. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Is the room too warm? Too cold? Jammies soft and comfy? I play classical or spa CD's on a loop in my babies rooms. They don't do complete silence. They also like a tiny night light. Did you ever swaddle? Is it teething?
    love2snorkel70

Answer by love2snorkel70 at 10:47 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• Have you establish a regular bedtime routine? Like putting your baby down at the same time each evening? How many hours during the day does your child sleep? If your child is sleeping to much during the day that may be why the baby is waking at night. When your baby wakes up in the middle of the night what does your baby do? Cry? Or does your baby want to play? 6 months isn't necesarily the time when all babies should sleep through the entire night.
    lawmom27

Answer by lawmom27 at 10:52 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• The getting up time isn't so bad - that's normal for babies that young to need a night feeding. But the taking 3 hours to fall back asleep is rough.

If this is normal for her, then look up some sleep training options, and pick one your comfortable with.

If this isn't normal for her, then I'd definitely check for signs of teething or something else being wrong (not that getting a tooth is wrong, but it does feel miserable and can prevent sleep).
    Anonymous

• my daughter never wanted to take naps during the day and she would get up about 3am .. so I would start to force her to take at least one nap so she would go to sleep a little later ... i don't really know what to suggest. but i know it can be frustrating b/c i know when my daughter would wake up, she would want to play and she had the giggle's. lol.
    good luck
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 10:58 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• My son is 8 months old and just now started sleeping through the night. I am so not used to it so i get up and check on him frequently lol so i still don't get a uninterrupted sleep. He is breastfed though so i thought he would take longer than a ff baby but i guess maybe it makes no difference. Every baby does it at a different age i guess.
    Crystal8327

Answer by Crystal8327 at 10:59 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• The cereal is probably part of the problem. For one, you should never put it in a bottle unless advised by a doctor for reflux. For two, it's hard to digest.

As for the rest, sounds like a normal baby. Teething or a growth spurt could be the culprit. Or she's getting ready to make a developmental leap - that often interfere with sleep patterns.

But babies rarely naturally sleep through the night at six months. I think your expectations might be a little too high. Although I agree it's no fun to be up for an hour and a half in the middle of the night - but this is probably just a phase and she'll return to normal sleep patterns shortly. Check for teething, though.
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 11:57 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• 2nd on lifetimelove's response about cereal in a bottle. warm milk is good!
    zoookeeper45

Answer by zoookeeper45 at 2:56 AM on May. 1, 2010

• try putting her to bed sooner. move up bedtime about 20 minutes each night until you are putting her down at 7:30 or 8pm. She may just be overtired and can't fall asleep soundly. Moving my son's bedtime earlier made him sleep WAY better, and he doesn't wake up any earlier.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 4:11 AM on May. 1, 2010

• Several things.

Six month old babies are not built to sleep through the night (though some do). It may be a year or more before your baby sleeps throught the night on a regular basis.

Cereal in the bottle is a choking hazard; don't do it. Also, the cereal my be causing tummy pain. And, a recent study showed that cereal at night may actually disrupt sleep pattens.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:55 AM on May. 1, 2010

• You can try leaving the tv on or put music on in the background... my kids all slept better with some sort of noise- never did well in silence. Also, I was having trouble with my son sleeping at night too... Idk what kind of formula u use, but I tried enfamil "restfull" and it is designed to fill them up and digest more slowly so they stay fuller longer... it works wonders for my son- I noticed a big difference!
    Anonymous