Am I crazy? Should we rush having another baby?

A little background....
I'm 35 (going to be 36 in August). My hubby and I just had our first baby...he'll be 6 months old next week. We want another baby but were planning to wait a year or two...maybe three at the longest, especially because of my age.
Now we have run into a delima with health insurance. Maternity coverage is becoming more and more scarce. I'll spare you all the details but we run the risk of not being able to have adequate maternity coverage, if any at all, if we wait.
We want another baby anyway but do you think it's crazy of us to change our original plans and start trying now?

Munchkin09

Asked by Munchkin09 at 11:10 PM on Apr. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think it would be unfair to the baby you already have to try and conceive another baby so soon. The baby you have won't get the same amount of attention if you wait. Thats just my opinion tho, if you are set on having another baby right away then go for it. Good luck to you.
    Anonymous

• If you are mentally and financially ready. And you know in your heart that this is what your family is ready for then I say go for it! Only you know what you can handle. You won't love you son any less than you do know, a mother can never run out of love. So do what you and you're husband think is best for you
    Anonymous

• If you want your baby to have a sibling,,and insurance is a problem,,,,then talk,,,this is between you and your hubby hon,,really,,,,talk to your man,,,who are we really to butt in on such a personal question here,,,go to your husband and the two of you sit down and talk it out,,,now
    Anonymous

• Update:
    My hubby and I did talk about it. He's on board.
    I'm just trying to get other people's unbiased opinions but I know it's ultimately our decision.
    Munchkin09

Answer by Munchkin09 at 11:25 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• I think that if you feel physically and emotionally ready to carry another baby for 9 months, and this is something that you and hubby both want then go for it. It's not like you will have a newborn and a 6 month old at the same time. Even if you start trying now it could take a while for you to conceive, so i'd say your children would be well spaced apart, probably about a year a half maybe at the least. Only you know what you can handle. Best of luck to you guys
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 11:31 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• all I know is that with my son 18-24 months were very hard. I am glad I waited to have my second baby (born when my son was about 30 months old). Do what you want- 2 children are tough, but you won't know any different once you get into the swing of things. Good luck.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 11:33 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• If it's what you feel is the best thing for you and your family then I would go ahead and start trying. My sons are 18, 19, 22 and 23. I had 4 in 5 years and I wouldn't change a thing.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 12:24 AM on May. 1, 2010

• The WHO recommends at least 18 months between pregnancies, 2 years if the last was a cesarean. The reason for this is because it takes time to re-build your vitamin stores, and for your uterus to completely regenerate from the last pregnancy.

Maternity coverage is starting to suck everywhere, and I'm sorry you're feelign that pressure. Would you consider an out of hospital birth? They are SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than hospital births (my midwife charges $2600 for prenatal, birth and postpartum care, which is less than i would pay out of pocket WITH my insurance for a hospital birth).
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:26 AM on May. 1, 2010

• Ati 13:
    I dont think I would consider an out of hospital birth. I know myself and I would be thinking "what if" constantly. What if something went wrong... I know plenty of women deliver out of the hospital and everything is just fine but there are complications sometimes. When I delivered my son the NICU team came running into my room after the nurse set off the alarm due to a complication. Thank G-d everything is ok but I would just think what if I wasn't at a hospital...my son may not be here.
    Thank you so much for your answer, though.
    Munchkin09

Answer by Munchkin09 at 12:34 AM on May. 1, 2010

• Totally understand :) Out of hospital birth isnt for everyone. It is statistically as safe or safer (meaning as many or fewer babies and mothers die or are injured out of hospital as in hospital), but if it would make you worry or uncomfortable then it is not a viable option for you.

It's so incredibly expensive to have a baby in the hospital without adequate insurance coverage. Since that's the situation you are facing, unless you can sock away about $10,000 between now and when you want to have your next child, I say go for it :) It's likely to be harder on your body, but it's also very likely that everything will be totally fine, especially if your last pregnancy was healthy :) Good luck, mamma!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:44 AM on May. 1, 2010