Native American foster kids.

I was looking on adoptuskids and there where A LOT of native american children on there and it said that only native american families could adopt them. There was a bro/sis group that was blond haired and mixed white/NA, anyways, why can they only go to NA families if they aren't completely NA and how would I prove that me and hubby are NA if we were never registered? Not sure of the process for either really. Not looking to adopt right now and I have adopted, I am just curious about this specific situation.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:41 PM on Apr. 30, 2010 in Adoption

• There are strict regulations on how native children can be placed in fostor/adoptive famailes. They typically want to place native children with family members and if that is not possible they will place them with members of the native community. There are several reasons for that one being cultural responsibilities. Alot of tribes still practice their ancient traditions and starting from the time the children young are young is when that starts. The native people live their lives differently then people who are not native, belief is different, their language, their schelengen or way of life is different. We believe that the best people to raise our children is us.The native people have been subjected to genocide for many generations in order to prevented that from happening they must step up and protect their children. Only a native person can teach the language, the culture, the real history of the tribe and all the beliefs
    Preggydyke

Answer by Preggydyke at 11:54 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• Since they are free for adoption that generally means no one in their family or tribe wants them. Since me and my husband have Native American in us but, like them also have white. Would we have to get birth records or how would that work?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:07 AM on May. 1, 2010

• I'm not sure of how you go about registering, maybe another can shed light on that, but can tell you that even though they are free for adoption, and even if you were allowed to adopt them, I'm almost positive that the tribe could step in at any time following the adoption and still take the children. The tribe supercedes the state because they are not bound by our laws. I'm guessing that by the adoptive parents being part NA, that they believe that it's less likely, but still possible, to step in and disrupt the adoption, regardless of how long ago it had been. BTW, on "no one...tribe wants them", I believe that they can come back in & say they weren't aware of the child's existence. There are MANY, MANY added specifications when dealing with NA children.

Maybe others can verify or disclaim this "theory", but that's my understanding.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 9:44 AM on May. 1, 2010

• can you prove you had NA family from a reservation? and do you know the names of your family members who are/were NA? I am mixed and there is no way to trace our relations because they were not registered even though it was as recent as my maternal great-grandmother and she was an Eastern Cherokee woman named WHITE COTTON...go figure, good luck the process is next to impossible. My side also has Blackfoot lineage but that one I know even less about, all I know is when I looked into "registering" I decided what is the reason to "claim" this heritage? I was not raised with so much just as a novelty? I decided until I could go to the reservations and meet and be re-adopted in it was better to stay out of it, I respect the cultures and have pride in my heritage but until I learn more from the people OF my ancestors I really had no business to stick my nose in if you know what I mean...I hope you have better luck though!
    mysilentmorning

Answer by mysilentmorning at 10:02 AM on May. 1, 2010

• One of the reasons for the Indian Child Welfare Act is to keep the culture alive. There is a long history of NA kids being adopted out to white families, sent to institutions to assimilate into mainstream America, and being stripped of their culture. Because of the history of this country many tribes are in danger of losing their cultures in entirety. Languages, traditions, spirituality, etc. The reason for the Act is to keep the kids within their culture.
    Now, that being said, I believe (and I'm no expert on the subject) that you can petition the tribe to allow you to adopt the children. Some tribes will in certain circumstances and others won't, for any reason. But, the tribe is the authority.
    LiliMama18

Answer by LiliMama18 at 10:58 AM on May. 1, 2010

• Maybe there is a lawyer who is knowledgeable about this. My DD is 1/4 Kickapoo, and our agency was required by law to give the tribe the first chance to place her with one of their own. They declined because the percentage is not high enough, and we have that in writing from them. She is 5 1/2 now, and there is no way on God's green earth that I would let anyone take her from me at this point.

If you are somehow able to have these kids join your family, be sure to learn as much as you can about their tribe(s) - if possible, from someone who is a part of that tribe. You can probably find some events within a day's drive. It's a little harder for us, because I haven't found much info about the Kickapoo tribe.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 11:00 AM on May. 1, 2010

• I wouldn't have a problem getting them to know their history and taking them there. We are in TX and they are in OK. It would probably be good for all the children to learn their history really. I was just curious if anyone had done it before. If maybe there was an agree we could have with the tribe like a legal open adoption maybe that I had obligations to abide by. It seems kind of unfair that the NA would allow the children to be in foster care until they age out because they can't be placed with white families.
    Anonymous

• Thank you, Iamgr8teful, for clearing that up. I wasn't sure that there was ever a "final' point to adoption of an NA child. I knew that someone had posted here about it before, but couldn't remember who it was. So,they may prefer an NA family and maybe the OP can apply, at least, and see what they say? Thanks for your input.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 5:28 PM on May. 1, 2010

• Anon: The problem with "wanting them to know their history" is that it's not about history, it's about their culture itself. You have to live it, not just learn about it. Plus, NA culture is very secretive, for lack of a better word beause of massive amounts of exploitation over the years. They don't share their religious beliefs, rituals, etc. outside of their tribes.
    As I said, I am no means an expert, but I don't think they allow the children to languish in foster care--they go through any and all means to find the children a home in their own community. It all depends on the tribe--I don't think it's unfair; it's really a method of self-preservation. Their cultures are pretty much dying out, unfortunately.
    LiliMama18

Answer by LiliMama18 at 9:05 PM on May. 1, 2010

• If you are ready to adopt and interested in these children I would contact the tribe directly if possible and ask if they will release these particular children. You just don't know what kind of reaction you might get.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on May. 5, 2010