does one high reading mean gestational diabetes?

I was messing around with the blood glucose meter today and decided to see what mine was. By accident I signed up for something and got a free meter. Anyway, it's never been high before (although I do NOT check it regularly) and when I checked it a little while ago it was 204! I'm 36 weeks pregnant and my midwife doesn't automatically test for high blood sugar at her practice...so this is the first test I've had in awhile. Does one really high reading mean diabetes, or could it have been because I ate recently, did the test wrong, etc... I'm bringing it up at my next appt but I'm nervous now because I'm almost done and who knows how long it's been high?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:49 PM on Apr. 30, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I would assume if your having other symptoms of GD then you probably have it, but it all depends on when you test yourself because of what you just ate or drank etc. There are times of day that your blood sugar is higher than other times.
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 11:52 PM on Apr. 30, 2010

• OP- That's the stupid part... there really aren't symptoms of GD and the few there are, they are also symptoms of pregnancy so there is really no way to tell!
    Anonymous

• When they do the blood sugar test, they have you fast for a while before you take it... I'm assuming that's so it's accurate, so I'd bring it up to them... but also, I wouldn't freak out until you're tested professionally.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:26 AM on May. 1, 2010

• You probably ate less than two hours before testing. :-)
    IMO, GD isn't a disease of pregnancy. GD is a manifestation of diabetes that happens to show up during pregnancy and that is much less common than all the diagnosis of "GD" that care providers give out. The current testing standards are crazy - we get tested for "GD" right at the start of the 3rd trimester, when our babies start putting on weight. They need glucose to put on that weight so our bodies start producing more glucose to feed our babies. But if we're diagnosed with GD, we have to control our diets strictly, limiting the amount of glucose available to feed our babies, leading to smaller babies at birth. Also, the ranges set for pregnant women are a good 20 points LOWER than for women who are not pregnant.
    Short answer, no, one blood stick without following protocol does not mean you have GD. :-)
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 10:22 AM on May. 1, 2010

• i think if you ate anything with sugar/ carbs in it within a couple hours, then it means nothing. try seeing what your level is in the morning before breakfast, and that will probably ease your fears :-)
    Anonymous

• btw. the day i did a glucose challenge test, my husband ate a dang kit-kat, dr. pepper, and bbq chips on the way to my apt! i ate some nuts. anyway i bet he would have had a 200 too, even after the hour drive and the hour wait for the blood draw. lol. ;)
    Anonymous